• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ok what can I do to keep my jack point covers on?

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
I'm doing my brakes and had to pull my jack point access covers off to get the car off the ground obviously. Anyway, they were on super secure but now only one of them will go back on and while pulling them off, some of the tabs got messed up with very little provocation etc... I have all 4 and I really don't want to be hunting down new ones because they fly off the car while I'm driving.

For those that have them, how do you keep them attached? I have half a mind to just epoxy the damn things in since I'm getting subframes soon and I'll be able to jack on those and never use the jack points again. Any other ideas?

I'm doing my brakes and had to pull my jack point access covers off to get the car off the ground obviously. Anyway, they were on super secure but now only one of them will go back on and while pulling them off, some of the tabs got messed up with very little provocation etc... I have all 4 and I really don't want to be hunting down new ones because they fly off the car while I'm driving.

For those that have them, how do you keep them attached? I have half a mind to just epoxy the damn things in since I'm getting subframes soon and I'll be able to jack on those and never use the jack points again. Any other ideas?

i checked all of mine and thought about gluing mine in too just in case. all 4 of mine have that, i think about a 2" plastic emergency piece in there too incase they fall off. the JP covers have holes in them where they go. when i bought my car i removed all 4 and they were caked with debris, weighing them down. i make sure they are secure just about every time i drive the car. if you don't have the those 2" plastic pieces, i would attach zip ties and leave yourself about 2-3 inches of room, so you don't lose them if they come off. thats if you want to keep them. hope it helps

I'm doing my brakes and had to pull my jack point access covers off to get the car off the ground obviously.

how is this obvious :confused: I never remove the jack point covers to get the car off the ground. I have removed them for jack stands however. I sure hope your not using the emergency jack when working on the car ....

as noted just add some extra zip-ties to hold the cover if it falls off. I have never had an issue, however none of the tabs on mine are screwed up.

as an alternative you can get a thin peice of plastic and put it underneither and one one screw. this way it holds the cover in and can easily be turned to remove the cover.

No, block of wood with a cutout for the jackpoint and a normal jack. They're pretty buggered up and they don't even fit properly anymore. Even if the tabs were there they wouldn't attach right. I probably should never have taken them off but I'm sort of glad I did because now it makes me attach them. I would have had one fly off sooner or later with all the crud caked in there... If I don't need to take them off anymore I'm going to permanently attach them and be done with it. A million things out there are slammed with ground effects and they don't have problems. I'll just make some low profile ramps out of some wood and call it a day. I just wish someone made these side skirts in urethane with no cutouts. I know someone is doing a fiberglass prototype in the group buy forum but fiberglass will just break... :(

Back