• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Carbon Fiber Hoods, leave them or paint them?

Carbon Fiber Hoods, leave them or paint them?

• Painted to match the car

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Unpainted, just clear coat

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this topic. I'm in the group buy that'll hopefully happen to get some more CF Vader hoods made and I do like the way the silver frost CSVT in the top banner looks but I can't get past the whole "ricer" image that goes along with an unpainted CF hood even if it is as well done as the car in the banner.

I do have access to a paint gun, compressor etc... and my father can paint pretty well so it isn't like I'm too worried about cost. I'd just have to buy some paint.

I love the look of carbon fiber, that's all there is to it. People may say it looks like "rice", true. But that doesn't make me change my answer. If it were my car, I'd have to let the carbon fiber show. :shrug:

My focus hood is carbon and its painted, I wish it wasnt..looks boring with it painted unless you are into only weight reduction then go and paint it

thats my silver car in the banner. paint it

367.jpg

Ok smalls your car is completely sick we all know that you pull off the painted look the best but then I look at digital slacker and wa2tuff with the unpainted hoods and now I'm completely torn...I voted for the unpainted and forgot about your hood...effing mind games!!! Haha

If it is just an OEM style hood carbon fiber hood, definetly do at least some paint work like smalls on it to showcase some of the carbon fiber.

If you get an OEM style and paint the entire thing, don't even bother getting a carbon fiber hood.

If you have a fancy hood, ie Vader/Evo style, do a full paint or a partial like smalls and I did. With this style hood, we all know it is not metal anyway so paint it.

If you have a black car or dark color car, with a OEM style or fancy carbon fiber hood, it usually looks ok to just clear it.

8-24-2009017.jpg

8-24-2009016.jpg

Even a carbon fiber hood on egplnt was a little too drastic of look for me, but I didn't think it looked bad.

Dsc01248.jpg

Here is carbon fiber with no sunlight.

newpics001-1.jpg

Yeah I've decided I'm definitely going to paint it. I can't do anything ricish and I've given ppl **** before for running a hood that isn't the same color as the rest of the car. That is if the group buy ever goes off. I've been in touch with Poncho on the evilbays and I might be getting one independently if the GB fails.

Hey ScottyDsntKnow...
Are you the other guy that was thinking about the silver carbon fiber?
You know the sliver c.f. was a $100 dollar up price for both hood and trunk,
would you be able to get the hood painted for that much?

I wonder if Poncho would give us a different discount with fewer people?
The Ebay site dose have an “OBO” option.
You know its not so much the price that’s, that high, but the added shipping that sucks.

Maybe if we could do some kind of group shipping, or something...? idk

Hey ScottyDsntKnow...
Are you the other guy that was thinking about the silver carbon fiber?
You know the sliver c.f. was a $100 dollar up price for both hood and trunk,
would you be able to get the hood painted for that much?

I wonder if Poncho would give us a different discount with fewer people?
The Ebay site dose have an “OBO” option.
You know its not so much the price that’s, that high, but the added shipping that sucks.

Maybe if we could do some kind of group shipping, or something...? idk

Yeah that was me but I emailed poncho and he said silver CF was a no go for hoods. I actually went at googled some silver cf images and I actually didn't like it.

Back