• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Paint and Roadtrip???

94ex

CEG'er
Okay so my tour got backed into by my roommate. I go to school out of state and am having the car fixed after graduation when I get back home. I'm home for like 4 days and then off to Washington for an internship, I'll be driving out there. Will I have an issue with the paint getting bumps in it from not being completely set up, if I hit bugs or anything? Or could I get it painted and put blue tape on it for the trip out? Any advice here would be awesome. Thanks.

Painters tape from Home Depot FTW! I usually tape the front end up on my car during the summer for road trips due to love bugs and clean up consists of me pulling the tape off. There is different strengths as well. Medium will hold for a little while but strong will hold for a longer road trip. Make sure there arent any wrinkles when you apply, it lasts longer.

Sorry I didnt read into it too much. I would NOT use painters tape or wax until the paint is 30 days old. Thats what the body shop techs told me at nissan when I worked there.

Last edited:
Back