• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing '98 tailights with '96 tailights???

96RedSE5Sp

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a '98 and I am replacing the stock trunk lid with a trunk lid from a '96.

I als want to switch out the old '98 tail lights (the ones attached to the car itself -not the trunklid) and replace them with tailights from a '96.

What parts do I need from the '96? Do I need the '96 bulbs? the '96 sockets? any of the '96 wiring?

Is ther a how-to anywhere?

Am I missing it?

The lights are exactly the same I believe, other then the lenses are different. Same bulbs and same sockets. Simply find a donor car and swap everything, that will be the easiest.

yes everything will bolt on the same but i think the pre-98 sockets are different. so i would think you would have to cut and splice .

yes everything will bolt on the same but i think the pre-98 sockets are different. so i would think you would have to cut and splice .

did this mod and this is correct. you will need to get the sockets that come with the pre-98 tails and enough wire to spilce into your current wiring. Ford loves to switch :censored::censored::censored::censored: around year to year with sockets and pretty much everything else. When I got my pre-98 trunk i just took out the entire wiring harness (attaches with clips) and used that harness with the trunk. that way I did not have to mess with splicing. Just plug and play.

Secondly, the post-98 tails and pre-98 tails are interchangable however the red lens is shaped a bit different where the lens buts up against the trunk. It will look odd if you dont have the same year lights on that respective trunk. So you are going to want to use the same year tails with that same year trunk.

The lights are exactly the same I believe, other then the lenses are different. Same bulbs and same sockets. Simply find a donor car and swap everything, that will be the easiest.

so kenny when are we gonna switch, and whats the deale for tomorrow :shrug:

I wanna do this too...
But, where does the pre98 trunk wiring harness clip in at? :shrug:

did this mod and this is correct. you will need to get the sockets that come with the pre-98 tails and enough wire to spilce into your current wiring. Ford loves to switch :censored::censored::censored::censored: around year to year with sockets and pretty much everything else. When I got my pre-98 trunk i just took out the entire wiring harness (attaches with clips) and used that harness with the trunk. that way I did not have to mess with splicing. Just plug and play.

Secondly, the post-98 tails and pre-98 tails are interchangable however the red lens is shaped a bit different where the lens buts up against the trunk. It will look odd if you dont have the same year lights on that respective trunk. So you are going to want to use the same year tails with that same year trunk.

Thanks. I have the pre '98 lenses. Now I've just gotta find some pre-98 sockets and wiring.

Back