• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clear coat on Carbon fiber? Yes or No?

teamSVTour

Hard-core CEG'er
What is the consensus on putting clear coat on cf? Yes or no?

I just had some cf pieces that were partially painted. The shop painted the section I wanted and only cleared that section. They did not put clear on the rest of the bare cf?

Is this right? This guy that owns this shop has a custom car w/ custom paint that does all sorts of sponsored events like Nopi and Sema and usually wins best paint. Only thing is he does not have any cf pieces on his car.

if they didnt clear the carbon fiber did they tape it? if so cant you see a distinct lne between cleared and un cleared?
so to answer the question yes they should have cleared the whole hood and you should have requested a high quality uv protectant clear like shawn said

Last edited:
if they were to do it the right way, they would have UV clearcoated the entire thing.

if they didnt clear the carbon fiber did they tape it? if so cant you see a distinct lne between cleared and un cleared?
so to answer the question yes they should have cleared the whole hood and you should have requested a high quality uv protectant clear like shawn said

In deperate need some of some quick suggestions b/c it should be finished tomorrow. If I need to have him redo it I need to tell him tonight or tomorrow morning.

I did not see the finished product yet. He did tape off the part I want painted. And the color part only got cleared. I'm afraid there is going to a a line visable and touchable where the color ends. He seems to think you should not put a clear over the CF even though I wanted a UV clear over everything.

The guy said the CF would not "show through as good" or the clear would effect the look of the CF somehow.

I don't know what I should do at this point.

Ive researched this a bit and some ppl have said that since the CF flexes alot, sometimes if it is cleared it will cause the clear to crack and spiderweb from flexing:confused:

Last edited:

i thought that was my answer:shrug::laugh:

What do you mean tape it? Tape it off? If so, yes the part I did not want painted was taped off so it did not get painted. But I am worring about there being a "lip" where the paint and clear ends since he did not clear the whole thing after laying the color.

I know what they "should have" done but I think its too late at this point. So now I'm wondering what my options are? Strip the whole thing and start over or just tape off the colored part so the clear only hits the CF part?

and what about these comments below. Is this just hearsay?

The guy said spraying clear over the CF would make the CF not "show through as good" or the clear would effect/cloud the look of the CF somehow.

Some ppl have said that since the CF flexes alot, sometimes if it is cleared it will cause the clear to crack and spiderweb from flexing:confused:

Last edited:
yes you will have a "lip"
yes i would have them redo the hood
you will be able to see the carbon fiber fine, no you most likley wont get spider webbing in the clear as long as they use a quality finish

yes you will have a "lip"
yes i would have them redo the hood
you will be able to see the carbon fiber fine, no you most likley wont get spider webbing in the clear as long as they use a quality finish

Crap. I bet they would screw it up if they have to sand down the color back down to the CF. I don't know if they could strip it but couldn't that mess up the resin?

How would you prep the resin for clear coat? Just lightly wetsand, dry, and apply clear?

I have also heard that the UV clear on CF will help to avoid "yellowing" later on.
-there will be a visible and feelable lip
-weigh the deadline difference for getting it re-done or leave it as is
-it should be fine the way it is, just let him know you might want it done at a later time
-I havn't heard of the cracking issue, but I was always told it can't hurt to have it on FWIW

I have also heard that the UV clear on CF will help to avoid "yellowing" later on.

This is correct. Most of the epoxy or polyester resins used on aftermarket automotive CF parts is not terribly UV stable. a GOOD UV clear coat is a very good idea if you are concerned about the long term appearance.

This is correct. Most of the epoxy or polyester resins used on aftermarket automotive CF parts is not terribly UV stable. a GOOD UV clear coat is a very good idea if you are concerned about the long term appearance.

I told the guy that painted it i don't want a "lip" in the paint and I want UV clear added so I think he is fixing it or correcting it etc. Hopefully all goes well. I can't wait to see how this thing looks.

im in the same boat on rebuilding my car. i asked the shop before i left to uv clear the pieces. i want no yellowing and i want a uniform appeal to the cf

img7985fr4.jpg

img7987ky6.jpg

Back