• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tow Hooks

CSVT_2004

Hard-core CEG'er
Has anyone ever modded their front or rear bumper to have the little hole cover that you can pop out and then screw a eye bolt into for towing or pulling their cars? I've seen some of the mondeo's have it as well as subarus and other vehicles......

No real good point on the car to be able to pull it from if it gets stuck or needs a slight tow or winching onto a flat bed....

actually i've wanted to sorta do something similar. if u look thru the lower grilling on the right and i think the left sides, theres a bolt that goes in from the backside and goes out (pointing towards the grill). i've been wanting to see if there are any tow hooks with the same threading that i can use from the frontside to replace it. it would have to go thru the grill though, sorta like race cars and stay there, otherwise it would be boltless. i've never had the car towed and think it would be a major pita to try to pop off the bottom access panel while its snowing and stuck on the hwy, then to have the tow crush the bottom of the bumper from the chain or strap. its hard to describe the bolt i'm talking about. its behind the grill all the way to the right. iirc i dont think it was bolting anything big like the subframe. might be totally a bad idea, i havent checked it out thoroughly

actually i've wanted to sorta do something similar. if u look thru the lower grilling on the right and i think the left sides, theres a bolt that goes in from the backside and goes out (pointing towards the grill). i've been wanting to see if there are any tow hooks with the same threading that i can use from the frontside to replace it. it would have to go thru the grill though, sorta like race cars and stay there, otherwise it would be boltless. i've never had the car towed and think it would be a major pita to try to pop off the bottom access panel while its snowing and stuck on the hwy, then to have the tow crush the bottom of the bumper from the chain or strap. its hard to describe the bolt i'm talking about. its behind the grill all the way to the right. iirc i dont think it was bolting anything big like the subframe. might be totally a bad idea, i havent checked it out thoroughly

If I remember that I'll take a look next I get a chance, I got the car up on jack stands so it's easy to get around and look at it..... I just thought that it's not bad looking, and it would be a really nice addition to improve upon factory design for towing... I've seen some of those hooks that are underneath our cars get bent and they are really tooo low to work with unless you have some sort of bob cat with a low pulling point to work with....

. its hard to describe the bolt i'm talking about. its behind the grill all the way to the right. iirc i dont think it was bolting anything big like the subframe.

ok at the risk of sounding totally stupid i gotta ask, what the hell is "iirc"? i have seen it used in many diff context and still can't figure it out! sorry for gett'n off subjuect but this is bugg'n the **** outta me!!

ok at the risk of sounding totally stupid i gotta ask, what the hell is "iirc"? i have seen it used in many diff context and still can't figure it out! sorry for gett'n off subjuect but this is bugg'n the **** outta me!!

If I Remember Correctly

i gotta jack up my car this weekend to get a better look at my front suspension. i'll give it a better look and take a pic of the bolt i'm talking about.

:laugh: My car has the rear hooks from the factory, and I had to use them this winter. I got stuck in my driveway, so I used my truck to pull it out. While doing so I bent both of them. :blackeye: :laugh:

It may not be structurely strong, but you could try modding the current hooks. By unbolting them, then making a plate and bolting them lower for accessability. :shrug: just a thought.

p.s. I hate firefox for spell checking everything...makes me feel dumber than I am. Sorry for the mis-spelling.:laugh:

It may not be structurely strong, but you could try modding the current hooks. By unbolting them, then making a plate and bolting them lower for accessability. :shrug: just a thought.

p.s. I hate firefox for spell checking everything...makes me feel dumber than I am. Sorry for the mis-spelling.:laugh:

current hooks aren't that strong, and they go down... so if you pull them at an angel of any sort you will probably bend them.... modding them lower will screw with ground clearance.... hence why I'd like to get an eye bolt like some imports have that can be put in to pull right from front or back without having to go under the car..

i took some pics but they arent necessary. the bolts i was referring are actually the front bolts on the stock tow hook plate. the plate has 2 bolts that screw vertically and one that screws horizontally front the front. u can see the horizontal bolt on both hooks to the very left and right of the lower grill opening. structurally, the bolt shouldnt be an issue if its removed. if we can find longer tow hooks with the same threading then we can drive around with the stock bolt out and then screw in the new bolt when needing to tow. you'd have to drill a small hole in grilling lined up with the bolt hole

i took some pics but they arent necessary. the bolts i was referring are actually the front bolts on the stock tow hook plate. the plate has 2 bolts that screw vertically and one that screws horizontally front the front. u can see the horizontal bolt on both hooks to the very left and right of the lower grill opening. structurally, the bolt shouldnt be an issue if its removed. if we can find longer tow hooks with the same threading then we can drive around with the stock bolt out and then screw in the new bolt when needing to tow. you'd have to drill a small hole in grilling lined up with the bolt hole

Interesting, I totally forgot to look at mine, I was just over working on it earlier... and didn't even think about looking at the tow hook thing...

Um... Photoshop... I do like the Idea of this. Because the Tow hook is not only usable but looks good as well if done properly.

I see them on STI's/Civic's all the time! In the middle of their bumpers with a Small slit right in the bumper!

- amyn

Um... Photoshop... I do like the Idea of this. Because the Tow hook is not only usable but looks good as well if done properly.

I see them on STI's/Civic's all the time! In the middle of their bumpers with a Small slit right in the bumper!

- amyn

Exactly why I'd like to see a setup on the CSVT's, no good way of towing without it being a PITA!

i think i'll pull one of the bolts this weekend to see if i can find anything longer with this threading or even a nonthreaded bolt that can be done with a matching thread die. i've seen universal tow/race hooks but never paid attention to their thread size. lets see what summit has to offer.

Tow hooks through the bumper look good? Please. Don't break down, or use the stock ones... I dont remember the fronts being an issue when my old car was hit and had to be towed....

not thru the bumper. thru the lower grilling. like this:

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/M...=KF-S1-F&Category_Code=TOW-HOOK&Store_Code=EM

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=5178

euros have a little hole in the bumper that u pop out to screw in a tow hook like this: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TOW/E36/E46

might be possible to copy this but thru the grilling instead of hacking up the bumper

obviously i dont want a full tow hook kit for $140

this is exactly what i always thought of replicating:

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=57671

i'd prefer to unscrew it and not leave it there all the time. but something i can screw in if the time came to tow the car. i think the back end is easier to tow, i never looked at that. if your on the hwy, dont think the tow is gonna pull a uturn to pull up to your back side in the breakdown lane.

Back