• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Soaking Grille

BlackE1

Veteran CEG'er
The grille has been soaking for 2 weeks now. I checked its progress today. How do I know when it’s done soaking? It is starting to peal / flake off but in some spots it seems like it is still attached.
Here are some pictures:
n20303248_33210104_8868.jpg

n20303248_33210105_9567.jpg

If it's still attached in some spots, I'd wait till those spots come loose before declaring it done.

It depends on the brand of the grill and if any paint work was already done to it. Mine only took 1 week, but I did one for a local CEGer and it took 3 weeks.

Everything should fall off on it's own if you shake it around in the acid a little bit. If it doesn't, it needs more soaking.

It needs more soaking then. I will check it in another week.
On a side note how did everyone dispose of the acid when they were done?

Ask LUCA, she dumped it in her lawn and killed the grass! :laugh: Call your city/town/whatever and ask if they have a special place to dump it. You may have to wait for one of those hazardous waste days.

I used this stuff to help bring down the PH in the swimming pool my parents had. I think if I dilute it with a ton of water it should be ok to pour out somewhere where there’s nothing it can harm.

I only killed the grass where some of the acid dripped out. LOL! I did dump it elsewhere after I poured a load of baking soda into the container.

It's cold where you are (BlackE1) so it will probably take upwards of two more weeks for all the chrome to come off. I noticed when I did a few in the winter that it took longer than it did in the summer.

When it's done, make sure to pour some baking soda on the trim ring, I let it sit covered in the baking soda for a few minutes to neutralize the acid and rinse it thoroughly.

just sand and paint it , i did mine like three years ago and its holding up great, took me like 15 mins to sand it,F that 3 weeks crap :crazy:

I thought about it but I am one of those people who like to do things right the first time no mater how much money or time it takes. I bought a second grille so having it sitting for 3 weeks doesn’t bother me since my car still has a grille on it.

to get rid of the acid you might just want to get something to bring the ph of it back to a normal level and then dump it.

Yep, when it's cold it takes longer.
Good to hear that you've got it almost all done. :cool:
Baking soda FTW! ;)

Hey everyone!

I'm getting ready to go through this with my grille and I want to make sure I'm about to start drilling through the proper spots to separate the mesh from the oval. I have circled the areas I believe I need to drill out. Yes you are looking at two different grilles, top original and the bottom (runs and puts flamesuit on) is from ebay. I will be attempting this with the ebay grille first, if all goes well, the original...

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

I didn't bother drilling when i did mine, instead i used a chisel and cut away the melted plastic holding the mesh on. If you get enough of that overlay off the ring piece should just slide right off. Otherwise, just use a drill to drill off some of the excess "stubborn" plastic.

Back