• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Seeking guidance in a possible repair

Sprebound

Veteran CEG'er
When I bought my car, it came with some big mufflers popping out the back... Well, I don't know what the previous owner was doing but he actually cut a little bit of the plastic off around the exhaust tip openings. I will try and get some pics up of this a little later once I get home from work...I think that will help a lot more to describe the situation I am in. But anyways, do ya'll think that it is going to be possible to remold that plastic with something? I am going to be getting some new exhaust put in pretty soon and it is not going to look right with the bumper the way it is... Would I need to use bondo or fiberglass or something? Any advice is welcome in the matter and I will put some pics up to help ya'll diagnose the situation. Thanks

Alright, this was the best picture that I had...and it is snowing up here so I didn't wanna take any pics outside.

DSC01485.jpg

So yeah, you can kinda tell where it was cut out on the left tip. Do you think it would work if I put some bondo over it and formed it with sandpaper?

Bondo will eventually crack and come off of a flexible urethane bumper. IMHO, I'd dig up a replacement unmodified rear bumper cover, and sell your existing one if you are dead set on changing it.

In for answer. I've looked everywhere and people arent really sure.

My sideskirt is in pieces and no one wants to ship me a driverside :cry:

Bondo will eventually crack and come off of a flexible urethane bumper. IMHO, I'd dig up a replacement unmodified rear bumper cover, and sell your existing one if you are dead set on changing it.

Yup...that is what I ended up doing. Well...I contacted Reebs and he said he will be on the lookout for a new one and I will get it when I am over there for SZ. He said he was pretty confident that he could find one by SZ and I really hope that he is right! :)

Back