• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Painting the 'Tour

2000SE

Veteran CEG'er
So i have been looking into paint jobs and have gotten mixed reviews on the job that Maaco does. Some people say its great, others say it is horrendous. A regular body shop quoted me about $2100 to paint the whole car, which i don't have the money for.

If you could, post your experiences with Maaco including the tier of the paint you had sprayed, part of car painted, and price. I'm looking to get the whole car done in black so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

what color is the car now?

cause if you're going from red/green/or any other color besides black....you're gonna have to do the engine compartment and door jams and all that.

I wasn't really asking what paint from any shop will cost but more of what is a ballpark for each of the tiers.

Car has paint code SU right now.

I wasn't really asking what paint from any shop will cost but more of what is a ballpark for each of the tiers.

Car has paint code SU right now.

only maaco has teirs of paint .... a real body shop is going to cost you what you where quoted or more, and trust me its worth it if you plan to keep your car ...

only maaco has teirs of paint .... a real body shop is going to cost you what you where quoted or more, and trust me its worth it if you plan to keep your car ...

Exactly, maaco does tiers. This is just a curiosity question as to what each of the tiers from Maaco will cost.

I most likely will end up getting it done in a real shop down the road, but i was unsure as to what Maaco's general prices were.

have you checked the maaco website by chance :shrug:

imho there is only one way to have your vehicle painted and that is the right way, its going to take time and money ....

sure maaco can shoot a coat of paint but the killer is the body work. the shop that painted my car found dents and dings I had never seen before .... and it made for some unbelievable paint

What most are not realizing is that you are painting it black.

It does not matter if it's sprayed by a monkey as long as there is plenty of depth in the finish coat.

If it's non-metallic black you are using, have it sprayed(by anyone with a paint gun and a roll of tape) and then block sand and polish it yourself.

What most are not realizing is that you are painting it black.

It does not matter if it's sprayed by a monkey as long as there is plenty of depth in the finish coat.

If it's non-metallic black you are using, have it sprayed(by anyone with a paint gun and a roll of tape) and then block sand and polish it yourself.

Black is one of the hardest colors to work with because it shows EVERY imperfection in the paint. So no, a monkey shouldn't be doing it.

Maaco is only good for one thing, and that's to shoot a car immediately before selling, if you want a paint job to last, expect to pay at least $2k

Hunt around for a good body shop, they're out there.

My painter, you'd really only hear of him by word of mouth, but he does really good work, and for what i paid, he's got some awesome prices. if i had any of my work done somewhere else, i'd have easily paid double.

My painter, you'd really only hear of him by word of mouth, but he does really good work, and for what i paid, he's got some awesome prices. if i had any of my work done somewhere else, i'd have easily paid double.

yup, from what I heard at SZ last year you payed half of what I payed for the paint on my car ...

Black is one of the hardest colors to work with because it shows EVERY imperfection in the paint. So no, a monkey shouldn't be doing it.

There's also tons of different shades of black. You can't just walk into the shop and say paint this bumper black and expect it to match the rest of the car. It won't.

yup, from what I heard at SZ last year you payed half of what I payed for the paint on my car ...

cause i'm awesome :laugh:

for example, right now i'm having my painter spray a buch of misc. interior pieces with my paint. the paint i used on my truck was like $100 a qt. and it took over 12 quarts just to do my bed, and my total on my truck still only came out to $2500. He's only charging me like $70 to paint all my interior stuff.

And the work on my truck wasn't all small work, he reshaved my tailgate, new front bumper, bumped out all the dents, straightened out all the sheetmetal, filled random holes from previous owner, since it was a color change it, he painted engine bay, door jams, back of cab, etc.

Here's my before...

0322071844b.jpg

0322071844a.jpg

0322071947.jpg

0322071947a.jpg

and my after...

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

and a couple in paint...

DSCF1206.jpg

DSCF1207.jpg

/threadjack :D

Last edited:

Maaco is only good for one thing, and that's to shoot a car immediately before selling, if you want a paint job to last, expect to pay at least $2k

Hunt around for a good body shop, they're out there.

If you don't have TACIT knowledge on a subject, why do you doubt me?

If you don't have TACIT knowledge on a subject, why do you doubt me?

Well in this case, i suppose it doesn't really matter since it's just a DD and not a show car. but black, when aiming for perfection, is one of the hardest colors to work with because it will show every wave, dent, and imperfection that occurs on the body.

For a DD i'm sure the monkey route will be fine, but i'm using it in the aspect of aiming for perfection.

Well i could redo it the body color, or only have my bodykit painted. The two tone thing just isn't working. My only issue is that if i were to just have the bodykit painted, there are still imperfections in the paint from people deciding to egg my car. A couple spider cracks in the paint would have to be redone in order to make the car look well done.

Luckily, i was involved in an uninsured motorists collision and two of the areas which have paint cracks are being repainted.

Anyone have any idea what it would cost to just get a bodykit painted to match the car? Ballpark that is.

Back