• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Driver window trim rubber going bad

Spikedog

CEG'er
The strip of rubber on the bottom of the driver window (outside) is splitting away from the door. I can push it back in, but every time I roll the window up it rides up with the glass. I glued down the offending strip on the back window that was doing that, but I think the problem is more serious on the driver door. Is there replacement rubber available out there? Is it easy to install?

1996 Mystique LS

Not sure that they are available any more but I replaced mine a number of years ago with new ones from the dealer. They just press into place.

Check your local junk yards or the For Sale section for part out cars. Like BrApple said, they press into place and can be removed with a standard screwdriver and gentle hands. Lift the end closest to the door handles and pull it up and out towards the rear of the car. You'll probably have to remove the door mirror to reinstall since the front part of the seal slides under the mirror housing.

The driver's side is always toward the sun where I park, so maybe a junker in the local yard might be pointed the other direction.

offthewall - the end closest to the door handle is already towards the end of the car. I hadn't noticed the rubber strip dove under the mirror at the front end.

I was looking at new rubber on Ebay, etc. Is this piece a common shape that I could buy a roll of and cut to shape?

No Title

Not sure what you mean by that, blu_fuz? All junkyards have Contour/Mystiques?

Attachments

• photo15490.JPG
    photo15490.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 0
I tried to lock the end down with a pop rivet. Once the drill bit got through the rubber it walked all over, so forget that approach. I've got some replacements coming via E-Bay. The part is called beltline weatherstrip. I am quite familiar with the local junkyard's selection of Contiques - just not ready to stomp around in the snow yet physically.

The ebay weather strip is in good shape, but I sold the car last week without installing it. Anyone interested in a complete set (4) of beltline weatherstrip?

I've got a set of Merc Mystique wheels with some Eagle GT's mounted lying around too. The snow tires on separate rims went with the car.

I'm interested in your set of four beltline weatherstripping. I'll see if I can figure out this new (for me) site and send you a PM. Thanks.

Back