• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

removing chrome trim from trunk

99csvtoledo

CEG'er
so i tryed to take the chrome trim off my trunk today by removing the entire tail light and i cant see a way to pop it out....do i have to peel it off then reaply the adhesive?

and ppl werent meant to fly but they still do..... just wanna know best way to get it off....so far pop it off wins

i think that the guy who said pop it off was just spamming "answers" just to get to 50 posts so he could post in the classifieds. doubt it just pops off

if you pull it hard enough it will come off, but its not going to hold very well without a serious amount of glue

If you want to paint it, just mask around it. I've had the chrome and/or the reflector painted and just used masking tape.

Mine is starting to fall off. Both ends are coming off. I tried super gluing it but that didn't work. I tried epoxy and that didn't work either. I was thinking that I should buy a new one and just trash the old one. How can I get it to stick back on?

Mine is starting to fall off. Both ends are coming off. I tried super gluing it but that didn't work. I tried epoxy and that didn't work either. I was thinking that I should buy a new one and just trash the old one. How can I get it to stick back on?
You could maybe try the 3m double sided tape?:shrug:

Mine is doing the same. I'm lazy, but a long time ago everyone told me to use 3M emblem adhesive. Try it :cool:

Mine was falling off the one side, what you have to layer up th epoxy in two different steps let it dry between. that way you gluing surfaces will be closer together and the springy effect of the chrome will be less. Mine worked with two applications of liberal epoxy.

Oh and Dont slam your trunk!

I "popped" mine off. Like someone already said, you have to technically break it off. Theres several tabs melted on the inside to the reflector. I forget what I used. Maybe a rag and a flathead screw driver. Start from one end and pry it up, one tab will breal, move in, break the next. Then pop the ford emblem off if you want (i cracked mine when trying but glaze puttied the cracks and got a sweet parkedcar overlay for it), sand the hell out of the strip, and paint at your leisure without having to worry about not having the license plate on the back of your car.

My chrome trim is pulling away from my car as well; has anyone used the 3m tape? I'd hate to buy a roll for a three inch piece and it not working.

I don't know if 3m tape would work. There are several "tabs" of melted plastic along the length of the trim piece that hold it in place. Once they break, they are a bit awkward in shape and there is no real flat area to make 3m tape work. I've used gorilla glue before and it was a pain and didn't really hold well. The last time I repainted mine, I picked this up at Lowes:

loctite%20epoxy%20putty.jpg

and it's held up very well so far (using black trim paint on the strip has also held up better than any other previous attempts)

I used a flexible glue called Goop for my reflector. Clamped it down and wiped off excess. Let it dry for 24hrs before removing clamps. Goop is soluble in mineral spirits so extra is easy to clean up. It is flexible (originally a running sneaker repair product) and stays put. Clean off all the failed superglue first. Mine has lasted 1.5 years now.

Back