• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brand New Car...how to take care of paint?

csvt99

CEG'er
My dad just picked up his '07 GT 500 and I wanted to check here for car care instructions, specifically for a new car. Ford gave absolutely no instructions. What I want to know is...can I wax this car right away, or do I have to wait a little for the paint to "breathe" or whatever. I'm located in south east PA so its not too humid this time of year. Also, can I use any type of wax product or is there a specific type I should use on new paint?

2nd Question:
Would anyone here recommend paint protection that goes beyond wax? My dad was thinking about getting the front bumper coated with that 3M clear bra stuff, but I've never seen it on a car. I've also heard of this company called ResistAll, who supposedly covers the car with a permanent type of wax that is supposed to last at least 5 years. They also do stuff to protect the interior.

What do you guys think? TIA

as far as having to wait to wax a new factory paint I am not sure, it should be fairly well baked from the factory I would figure .... more over you need to learn a washing method that will help protect the paint, read the faq and start using a two bucket washing system ... if you are really concerned about protecting the paint the 3M stuff might be a good idea, I am going to be doing that I believe ... you will find Zaino highly rated and I have been blown away by this product ...

I let my repainted car sit about 60 days, end of October to the end od December before applying any wax ...

Thanks for the tips, I already use the 2 bucket method when I was cars. The thing I'm concerned most about are those fine hairline scratches that occur in the paint. My dad uses towels to try his cars (i don't)...and I think that is what causes the scrathes. I told him to never use a towel on this car. I use a chamois, but I'm wondering if the microfiber towels wouldn't be better?

most body shops will day wait 90 days after paint. DONT use chamois they cause those scratches. a good wafle weave microfiber towel would be the best for drying.

Last edited:
Zaino Ultimate Kit for starters..once your car is treated with that, then you may start looking at similar products..

Well I guess it depends on how the car is going to be driven, but I'd clay it twice a year if its a DD or semi-DD and as far as protection goes, well, acrylics are the best way to go, I prefer Klasse:cool:

Alright, well the car will probably see around 2000 mi/year. He has a 95 GT convertible with less than 20K on it, so thats what I'm estimating from. In that case, should I lay off the clay bar?

Factory cars can be waxed soon as you buy them.

Just clay it before any deep cleaning.. if you are just washing it, don't worry about it.. but if you're going to wash, polish, and wax, might as well throw clay in there to get rid of the impurities.

a good wafle weave microfiber towel would be the best for drying

I doubt any permament type of wax is worth it. 3M clear bras are very nice, if you have the money to spend on one to get it professionally installed. You don't need one though, if you stay off the highway. If you do travel the highway, stay far enough behind cars and trucks.

I wouldn't recommend the ResistAll, most of those products don't live up to their billing. A monthly (or bi-monthly for a garage queen) wax routine would give you much better benefits (both in terms of look and protection). I'm a fan of Meguiars products, so I will recommend that you look into some of their polishes and protectants, espically the "Professional" line. A nice place to start would be #80 followed by #21 (wash and clay bar first, of course). Autodetailingsolutions.com has good prices on these products and offers samplers (12 oz) for a lot of products.

Clear Bra - no doubt, and have it done professionally. It's not something a novice should attempt - especially on a high end car.

Skip Resist-All. Waste of money.

Multiple coats of a synthetic wax should be fine - Menzerna, Poorboy's, Zaino are most popular amongst detailing enthusiasts.

Start here for detailing info.

Waffle weave towels are the best for drying.

HTH

I've seen many microfiber towels but none are labeled waffle weave. Can you explain what that is so I can pick them out in the store?

WW towels look like, well, waffles :laugh:

They have a bunch of small squares all over them (this is from the Meguiars website):

product_X2000.jpg

Back