• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

First Time With Rotary

blind829

CEG'er
A couple months ago I decided to pick up one of those $30 Harbor Freight rotary buffer/polishers. I decided yesterday to pull it out and put it to the test on my wife's car. She hit the side of the garage while pulling in about a year ago, scraping the passenger rear door molding and quarter panel. I've used an orbital plenty of times but these rotary's are a whole new monster. Below are the before and after pictures...I'm impressed for my first time...I also tried really hard to rub out the rust hole at the bottom of the door, but I just couldn't find the right compound/pad combination.

BEFORE
CIMG1444.jpg

CIMG1445.jpg

AFTER
CIMG1447.jpg

Nice what rubbing compound/polish did you use? great job for a first timer

Thanks. It's not perfect by any means but all I was concerned about was getting the brown garage paint out and the scratches from
hitting the garage. I used Megs Ultimate Compound.

I just picked up a HF one. But i have no idea what speeds the dial indicates. do you have any idea? the manual only says the range it can run at. 200-3377 rpm. example: which marking on the dial is 1000 rpms?

I just picked up a HF one. But i have no idea what speeds the dial indicates. do you have any idea? the manual only says the range it can run at. 200-3377 rpm. example: which marking on the dial is 1000 rpms?

This is all I found on the web...

1= 1000
2= 1400
3= 1800
4= 2200
5= 2600
6= 3000

The dial, however, is variable, meaning 1.5= 1200, 2.5= 1600, etc. Hope this helps out a bit...

This is all I found on the web...

1= 1000
2= 1400
3= 1800
4= 2200
5= 2600
6= 3000

The dial, however, is variable, meaning 1.5= 1200, 2.5= 1600, etc. Hope this helps out a bit...

humm, are you sure that is for the Harbor Freight one? the $30 orange one.
It just does not seem to add up for mine. I will call H.F. tomorrow and ask, then let everyone know.

Oh by the way the car looks amazing!

wow HF blows. I just talked to a technical adviser. I ask him what speed the markings on the dial represent. He told me that setting 3 is 'about' 1770 and that this is the only speed that is documented because the speeds vary between each unit. I intend to get my $40 bucks out of it though. Just thought i would let you know.

when you did your wife's car which dial setting did you use?

wow HF blows. I just talked to a technical adviser. I ask him what speed the markings on the dial represent. He told me that setting 3 is 'about' 1770 and that this is the only speed that is documented because the speeds vary between each unit. I intend to get my $40 bucks out of it though. Just thought i would let you know.

when you did your wife's car which dial setting did you use?

I didn't dare go over 2 with it, these things really cut even at that. I believe the harbor freight manual said you can go up to four, but like anything with detailing, use the least aggressive method to get the job done.

Be sure to take some pics.

I didn't dare go over 2 with it, these things really cut even at that. I believe the harbor freight manual said you can go up to four, but like anything with detailing, use the least aggressive method to get the job done.

Be sure to take some pics.

Yea i am well aware. i was just curious. This is my step up from the Porter cable.

Back