• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PC pad cleaning

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
Question guys. I have no problem getting the pads for my Porter Cable clean, but what about drying them. Normally, I will just set them outside on the picnic table or something like that in the sun and let them dry. But since using them last weekend end its rained 2 days and been cloudy pretty much the rest of the week Result, pads still stacked on the back of the toilet, wet!

My question is, we have a shoe rack for the dryer, would it damage the pads at all if I set them on that and set the dryer to low or no heat to dry them?

Mine sit face down on a dish rack so a shoe rack should be fine. The key is that they are face down (foam down), squeezed out and air can get up in them to dry them.

I put mine inside the house on a towel face down to dry. it takes a few days but it works well and no risk of damaging them. Also i think that was the instructions that came with them. With mine ( the CCS pads) heat is not supposed to be used for drying. so not in the sun either. i imagine that the glue holding the pad together would be effected. just like if you washed them with dish soap.

It probably wouldn't hurt them to throw them in the dryer as long as you did an air fluff cycle. I've done that with wetsuits to dry them more quickly (nothing sucks more than putting on a cold, wet, wetsuit before you get in the cold water) without any damage to the neoprene. I imagine it would be very similar for a foam pad.

(nothing sucks more than putting on a cold, wet, wetsuit before you get in the cold water)

Ugh I just got chills remembering that feeling. Back in my competitive swimming days we had the full/partial suits for competition days and we'd all be sitting there twitching and complaining waiting for the cold wet suit to warm up just a little.

I have no problem letting them sit for a while where they can drip since it will be weeks before I need the pad again.

this is what I was going to suggest.
Most dryers nowadays have this cycle available. It doesn't use heat to dry.

I was thinking air fluff with the shoe rack so they wouldn't be banging around either, that should say some wear and tear.

If spinning at 1000+ rpm against a hot surface doesnt wear them out I doubt a gentle tumble dry will do more harm. :)

Mine usual dry the quickest once I have rolled them in dirt and such.

But really, I have a pad cleaner that I spray on them and rinse with warm water, wring and sit on a towel to dry, pad down.

Ok bringing back this old thread. Have a question for everyone. Got some product samples at the car show I was at in August, one being Surf City Garage Beyond Clay.

This is basically a liquid claybar that is intended to be used with a Porter Cable or like device. My friend who was at the same show tried is stuff out and loved. So I figured I'd give it a whirl (wasn't impressed by the way).

Anyway on to the issue at hand. I used the product in combo with my Meguiars W8006 pad (which I always use for polishing with Meg #102), any way this stuff goes on purple and soaks in to the pad purple. I went to wash my pad tonight in the same manner as always in the tub with hot water, liquid detergent and oxiclean. This process never fails to get the pads clean, however, this Beyond Clay crap turned bright pink and won't come out.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm soaking it again and have tried pre treater etc.

Back