• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

is the carwash safe?

mnewxcv

Hard-core CEG'er
I know some of you cringe at the idea of going to the carwash, because it scratches the car. What I want to know is are those standalone "booths" where you spray the car down yourself fine? My car is filthy and I want it to be a little cleaner before I get it professionally detailed. Also, what about consumer pressure washers that go for like $100?

Spraying your car down is just fine in my opinion. Its using the brushes that have been sitting on the ground or used to sweep out a truck bed that have no business on your paint. But honestly if you're having the car detailed they'll be washing it anyway so why are you worried?

Cheap pressure washers are great fun but dont be heart broken when they act up and die. One great thing about having one is you can hook up a nice car wash foam gun/lance and really put a good coat of foam on the car that cleans as it drips off.

I use the spray it yourself places all the time. If I do use the brush I spray it really well with the high-pressure soap before I touch the car with it. I've never noticed any scratches that come from it.

I finally found a wash around here that the SVT can go threw with out risk of ruining the bumper or skirt! I go threw them in the winter to get the salt off the bottom of the car. Summer it is hand.

I'll use the touchless or DIY car washes when the car is covered in dust, pollen, and dirt from puddles, and when I don't have time to hand wash. Don't expect to get anything off of the car which has had time and/or sun to dry it onto the surface.

Hand washing is frowned upon out here, plus currently I have no place to do it anyways. I use the booth down the road and hand wash with a mitt after I spray it down with soapy water. Sometime I turn it to brush and let the suds fall on the car as I wash with a mitt.

Never seems as clean as if I did it in my driveway.

I think he means at the spray booths. Some have 'No Handwashing' signs up so that you don't spend too much time in there not feeding their machines quarters.

I find none care as long as you do it when it is not busy. When I lived in a apartment I would actually toss a bucket and wash mit in the trunk and go to those places at dusk or really early in the morning.

In the driveway is frowned upon, and the water at the self serve places is recycled.

Vehicle Washing
Personal vehicles may be washed at home using a hose with positive shut-off nozzle. However, the Water District recommends use of a commercial or self-serve car wash where water is captured to the sanitary sewer, which allows for recycling. Or, use a high-pressure, low-volume sprayer to maximize water savings.

Personal vehicles
Car washing limited to once a week per vehicle using a hose with positive shut-off nozzle.

Commercial vehicles
Wash commercial vehicles only at a facility where water is discharged to the sanitary sewer through approved methods. Or, wash with a high-pressure, low-volume sprayer using less than 10 gallons per vehicle. There is no limitation on frequency.

Mobile car washing
Mobile car washes are allowed as long as company uses high-pressure, low-volume equipment and uses less than 10 gallons of water per vehicle.

You're a perfect candidate for the Optimum No Rinse car wash stuff. I just use my california duster to get the pollen and dust off before I hit the car with 2 gallons of water, a mit and a car squeegee. Try it out.

I would never use the brush on my car at the quarter carwashes, I used to a long time ago and didn't know better. Touch-free washes are the way to go when in a hurry, but always remember to clean your window at the pump with the squeege though, the touch-free's never clean your front window good due to the fact that the dirt is caked on, while your at it, clean all the windows before you go in:shrug:

Thanks for your suggestions. I tend to wash every other week, and get the sand off weekly. I have Poor Boys Quick Wash Spray. It doesnt say to wet the car first, I have been using it like the Quick Detailer (which is awesome).

Is there a difference that you know of?

Its gotta be basically the same thing. Poor Boys makes great stuff so I would imagine its just fine. The reason I like the Optimum stuff is because its cheap in the gallon (~$30) for the full strength product and you dont use a lot of it when its only 2oz at a time for the bucket wash mixture.

Back