• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need a heaver polish/ compound

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
I currently have and use.

Porter Cable 7424

Menzerna Intensive polish used with CCS Orange pad.

Menzerna Final Polish II used with CCS White pad.

I am looking for a heavier Menzerna Polish/ compound. The Intensive polish takes far to long to cut the paint down. It looks like Menzerna Power Gloss would be the next abrasive. The super intensive polish is just meant for super hard clear coats. I would use the next stiffer pad as well.

I am looking for your input on Menzerna products before i contact the retailer Monday.

Thanks!

Edit: After reading more about the pads I might just use the orange pad with the heavier polish.

Last edited:
The issue is also that you're using the wrong polisher to really clean with. A dual action polisher doesnt have the cutting power that you seem to be looking for.

I do know that, but my polish is pretty light stuff. When I do use it to clean the paint, I am able to get my desired results. It just takes a long time.

For instance i think it took 3 hours to do my hood last summer. Again i really think that some more abrasive stuff would work a lot better than what i currently have. Once i do the major polishing it should only need the light polish from time to time. for scuffs and what not.

I know that i would get myself in trouble with a orbital polisher.

I know that i would get myself in trouble with a orbital polisher.

Not if you already know to use CCS pads. The people that get into trouble with orbitals are people that dont ask (you did), wont listen (you will) and then use a wool pad spinning too fast while moving it too slowly.

You are right about needing a good heavy polish and then needing light polishing as needed. BUT any detailer will tell you that to get that heavy polish you'll need the rotary. I bought one and the CCS pads for less than a detail would have cost me just so I could loan it out, do another car or redo my own car when needed.

the power gloss does seem to be the next step up.

http://www.properautocare.com/menzerna.html

"Note: Power Gloss is Menzerna's most versatile and popular product but it is a professional compound.

Most paint problems can be corrected with Intensive Polish. Power Gloss should be reserved for deeper scratches, water spots and 1000 to 1500 grit paint defects that Intensive Polish could not remove.

Power Gloss can be used with dual-action polishers but was designed for optimum results with circular polishers."

Not if you already know to use CCS pads. The people that get into trouble with orbitals are people that dont ask (you did), wont listen (you will) and then use a wool pad spinning too fast while moving it too slowly.

You are right about needing a good heavy polish and then needing light polishing as needed. BUT any detailer will tell you that to get that heavy polish you'll need the rotary. I bought one and the CCS pads for less than a detail would have cost me just so I could loan it out, do another car or redo my own car when needed.

I really appreciate the encouragement for using an orbital. Right now that does not really fit into my budget. By no means am i a professional detailer. Just a weekend perfectionist.
Perhaps later down the road i will pick up a orbital. I started off with the above polishes to make sure i get the hang of things before i go crazy.

I do have my fathers old orbital that he burnt his paint with many years ago. It's a 2 speed, but i don't even know if the shaft is the standard size. not to mention what speeds it runs at. It was just a thought.

Picture.jpg

the power gloss does seem to be the next step up.

http://www.properautocare.com/menzerna.html

"Note: Power Gloss is Menzerna's most versatile and popular product but it is a professional compound.

Most paint problems can be corrected with Intensive Polish. Power Gloss should be reserved for deeper scratches, water spots and 1000 to 1500 grit paint defects that Intensive Polish could not remove.

Power Gloss can be used with dual-action polishers but was designed for optimum results with circular polishers."

Wow, thank you for posting that. I did not read that part. Humm... if i buy some i will only use it where i have bigger defects after i have tried my lighter polishes.

Now i am starting to realize that i am not just being a perfectionist but at the limitations of a dual action.

Thank you!

I realize that you specifically requested Menzerna products, but I have used the combination of the PC and Meguiars M105 to obtain results which I thought could only be obtained w/ a rotoray and a wool pad. The M105 cuts fast (2-3 passes for defect removal) and leaves the finish ready for your LSP of choice.

Back