• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Waxing Windows?

G Stone

CEG'er
I have a friend who says he always waxes his windows when he is waxing his car. He says it doesn't haze or fog and the water simply beeds off the car when it rains. Has anyone ever done this and does it really work? He uses Meguiars Gold Class wax.

it does work but only for a very short time. it lasts longer on the side and rear windows since you dont have the wipers on them.

the best thing you can put on the windows to make the water bead up is Aquapel. you can get it from tirerack. one applicator is enough to do the front window and the front side windows. it works better than Rain-x and lasts 6 months to a year or more before you have to reapply it, (Rain-x is a monthly application).

it lasts longer on the side and rear windows since you dont have the wipers on them.

I've always done the sides and rear for that same reason. It helps especially if you use a quality application like Liquid Glass. RainX is good too, but doesn't last as long.

Works good, but Rainx works better. Don't wax the windshield... it can cause oncoming lights to glare excessively.

Works good, but Rainx works better. Don't wax the windshield... it can cause oncoming lights to glare excessively.
If you like Rain-x you need to try Aquapel. It works so much better and you only have to apply it once a year instaed of once a month.

i used to work for NTB. a representative from aquapel came in once and gave us a huge box of it. no one wanted it, so i took it. i have a stockpile that will last me for the rest of my driving days. i love the stuff! it really does work a hundred times better than rainex

Oh sweet. I've been meaning to try it but I still have a tube of some gel that walmart had on clearance that works much better than rain-x. How many tubes you have left?

I use Ultimate Quick Detailer on my windows. It's 100x easier to apply/remove than Rain-X and w/ regular applications (every time I wash), my windows shed water like an otter:laugh:

I use Ultimate Quick Detailer on my windows. It's 100x easier to apply/remove than Rain-X and w/ regular applications (every time I wash), my windows shed water like an otter:laugh:
Thats the thing, every time you wash your car you have to apply it. With Aquapel you only apply it about once a year. it takes about 10 minutes to do so, but only because you have to make sure your windows are perfectly clean. it works so well that i rarely have to actually turn my wipers on, all the water just flows right up and off the windshield. If its night i cant even tell its raining unless its absolutly pouring down, but even then i just turn the wipers on to the low setting and continue on my way.

I apply it every time I wash my car because I wipe my car down w/ UQD after every wash. I haven't tested the durability of a single application.

Sometime back, a buddy of mine said to me, "You gotta try the Rain-X washer fluid. It really works." So I did, and it does, though admittedly not as well as applying regular Rain-X, but also without any of the work.

I really avoided Rain-X washer fluid for a long time. I've tried other products that claim to work wonders and don't do crap, so I didn't believe it. I finally gave it a shot last year and I've been amazed by it.

As great as it works though, I can't use it in the BMW anymore. For the glass it's great but because of the headlight washers, it sprays all over my headlights everytime and it seems like they got a little cloudy from it. Not to mention the spray that ends up on the hood of the car from it. I end up with Rain-X streaks all over the place.

I'll definitely keep using it in the SVT though.

I've found that an initial treatment on the windshield followed by a spritz now and then of washer fluid goes a long way towards keeping it slick. My problem is the nozzles on my SVT dont stay aligned so sometimes the passenger side shoots onto the roof and other times it shoots onto the intake vent. :)

a properly cleaned window shouldn't give you any fogging issues in the first place.

the more dirty your windows are on the inside, the more they will fog.

and if your fog issues are very bad then you might want to check your car for leaks since there's too much moisture in the car in the first place.

sorry..i'm not a fan of rain x and stuff like that.

NXT on the windows outlasts Aquapel,.....
Yes, I've used both and then some. I wouldnt us a Carnuba wax on the indiws, but NXT seems to last forever, and doent cause any glare

Last edited:
Back