• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake Dust On Inside of Wheel Rim

harrup

CEG'er
I've had my car detailed a couple of times but they don't get rid of this dust build up. Is the only way to get to it to wait until I get my next set of tires & clean the inside of the rim while the tires are off.

This probably would bother a lot of people but it bugs me that it's still there & you can see it through the spokes when the rest of the car looks great.

I've had my car detailed a couple of times but they don't get rid of this dust build up. Is the only way to get to it to wait until I get my next set of tires & clean the inside of the rim while the tires are off.

This probably would bother a lot of people but it bugs me that it's still there & you can see it through the spokes when the rest of the car looks great.

Jack up the car and remove the wheels one at a time and clean them that way. Thats what I do,

This depends of course, how much clearance you have between the wheel and the brake calipers/rotors.

Mark

Speaking from experience? :)

My moms LS has the multi spoke chrome wheels.....you can't get ANYTHING in there!
I hate cleaning that car

A friend put a clear coat on the inside of his rims. I never got a good look at it but he mentioned that it only needs a rinse to wash off the brake dust.

is here the 2000-2002 style or the 2003-2006, and it sounds lime it'a a sports package right?

It's an 02 v8 chrome 16's not the 5 spokes....sorry I can't check your links, my phone wants to call those numbers when I press them :blackeye:

A friend put a clear coat on the inside of his rims. I never got a good look at it but he mentioned that it only needs a rinse to wash off the brake dust.
X2. I refurbish my rims all the time. If you make the finish as smooth (paint and lacquer) on the inside of the rim as the face.... the brake dust does indeed wash off with a power hose. G.

What do you do when you refurbish them?
when i get a tire wear out or damaged, i remove the tire and re- paint and lacquer the rim. That is flatten any scratches or digs and spray with filler primer.When it dries flat, then paint with color. Allow to dry completely or else the paint will 'sink' after you have lacquered. When i'm happy the paint is flat and dry, i flatten once more with 2000 grit wet and dry.... do one final color coat and 30 mins later slowly add lacquer and build up to full covering. The last one i did (i have five alloys) is in the trunk drying some more i suppose. That's the one you can see in my avatar on NECO. I couldn't match the color of the original (powder coat ?) of the rims....but it doesn't matter now 'cos i've done them all. I also put my own tires on 'cos the idiots that work in tire shops don't know how to handle someones pride and joy or how to handle alloys in general. ..G.

some tire places want to bang weights on the rim of your alloys. They say it gives a better balance. I don't have that .. i just have the stick on weights inside the rim. It feels ok to me. I think it depends on how bad the imbalance is to start with. Having banged out any flat spots, i find that my wheels need less weights. No one can tell you, it's something you'll get a feel for with your own wheels... ..G.

Back