• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Glass - water spot removal?

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
Ever since we moved into our house about 4 years ago, I've been battling water spots on my car. The water is nothing like it was at our old house and it's tough to get a shaded area to detail the car. The sun has baked some nasty water spots in my glass and they have only been getting worse as time goes on.

I've tried using Zaino Glass Polish but it doesn't have any affect on the spots.

I see that "One Grand" is recommended in the FAQ but I'm looking for everyone elses personal experiences and products used. I searched online and found TONS of products, and not one forum recommends a specific brand.

Anyone else have any experience with any products? I'm not ruling out Dyoel's suggestion, but I'd like to hear about others.

I was just thinking about this thread the other day when talking to a friend about windows. He said a lot of times a vinegar solution, microfiber towels and some newspaper to dry with will deal with a lot of water spots. For etching he recommended Eagle One Scratch Remover (I think) because it doesnt have all the oils for paint that other polishes have.

well.... you lay towels over youre paint for that... DUH..

and hope you dont get cought:shrug:

i would never do it... or seriously recommend doing it, its not worth jail time... but... just a thought?

I've used One Grand multiple times, it works wonders on water spots. I detail vehicles for a customer who has unbelievably hard water. One Grand removes them w/ only 2 applications. It does make a mess (powder/residue), but the results are well worth the extra clean up!

But, as they say, the proof is in the pudding:

Before:

Chrysler%20Pacifica-water%20spots-before2-reduced.jpg

After:

Chrysler%20Pacifica-water%20spots-after-reduced.jpg

That's pretty much my windows all around. I'm almost embarrassed to drive it looking like that. I need to do something to filter out all the crap from our water.

I'll give One Grand a shot though. I know some products can only do some much clean up, but with windows that bad, I feel confident using it on my car since they are in almost the same condition.

That's pretty much my windows all around. I'm almost embarrassed to drive it looking like that. I need to do something to filter out all the crap from our water.

Griots makes a very nice water de-ionizer and a very nice faucet filter if you're using a hose outside. I myself started using No Rinse with water I get from the water store down the street so now I just have to worry about the wind blowing sprinkler water onto my car.

RV stores also sell portable water softeners. You just put them inline w/ your hose. They cost about $250, but they do a very good job a reducing minerals in your water.

I ordered some One Grand Paste Glass Cleaner yesterday around noon from Amazon.com and it showed up today. :shocked:

My SVT comes out of storage this weekend so I might give it a try if I have some time.

Amazon shipping is A+ (especially if you get free super saver shipping). I have found that a round foam applicator pad works best for applying the glass cleaner, and paper towels work best for removing it. Follow this up w/ your regular glass cleaner and a microfiber towel and you will have better-than-new looking glass.

I was working at it for hours today and only completed both drivers side windows. They look amazing though. I can feel the difference just running my hand across the glass. The water won't even have a chance to bead up and stick to the glass like it did before. It should roll off real nice now.

One Grand is definitely amazing stuff. I just wish I didn't let my windows get as bad as they did otherwise it would have been much easier to do. I'll probably do the other windows later this week.

Back