• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P / C Fluids

The Digital Slacker

Hard-core CEG'er
Might as well start another thread since its dead in here.

So to recap, I got a porter cable...

a bunch of foam pads...

backing plate...

So now all i need is the fluids. I've been browsing around and I seems that I need a cleaner, a polish and a sealant.

I am looking over at autogeek at Klass All In One for a cleaner. The only thing that confuses me is that it seems like it is marketed as a polish. Hell it has polish in the name! Though some reading I did showed people using it as a cleaner...

If it is indeed a polish does that mean I can just just grab some AIO and then find a decent sealant?

Klasse All-In-One is a chemical paint cleaner that leaves behind about a month of protection on its own.

For polishes (swirl removal) I would consider: Poorboy's 2.5/1.0 or Optimum Compound/Polish. Other ones to look at are XMT #3/#1 and if you can swing the price Menzerna is suppose to be really good.

Also, a dedicated paint cleaner might not be totally necessary. Polishes have small abrasives in them to reduce/remove swirls as well as paint cleaners to remove oxidation,road grime,etc. etc. A paint cleaner that I really like is Poorboy's professional polish. It can be used on every exterior surface of the car to polish except for the tires.

As far as a sealant goes, a PC isn't necessary for application. I almost always apply my sealant/wax by hand. If you list me some of the requirements/looks/paint color(s)/price point/durability/etc. that you are desiring in your sealant I can help steer you in the right direction for picking one out.

Here's what I use with my PC with really good results

Both are Meguiar's Professional Mirror Glaze line

#105 Ultra Cut Compound (#12 cut on their scale) for swirl removal etc

#21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Here are before and afters

That looks nice!

What kind of durability are you getting out of the M21?

I haven't redone the car, perhaps just a coat of wax since. I was planning on doing another PC treatment in the fall, but didn't do to the damage that the rear end sustained just have the first run (as shown in the link above).

I can't really say how the durability has been, but I can wash it and it shines just like I deep cleaned it.:cool:

As far as a sealant goes, a PC isn't necessary for application. I almost always apply my sealant/wax by hand.

Very much agreed. You need the machine to do the cleaning and polishing but not for the final steps with the surface. In fact I find it relaxing to finish the car without the sound of a motor annoying you, the vibration of a machine numbing your hands and the constant hazard of tripping over an extension cord. :)

The PC will apply a thinner, more uniform layer. This translates to less product used and typically easier removal.

Not if I already know how to properly apply a thin, uniform layer by hand with a yellow foam hand applicator that "absorbs" less product than a bigger PC foam pad. :cool:

The PC will apply a thinner, more uniform layer. This translates to less product used and typically easier removal.

Thats only if you apply less product to the paint in the first place. I've also found I only have trouble removing a coat if it was applied by machine and saw some heat to make it cure faster.

Not if I already know how to properly apply a thin, uniform layer by hand with a yellow foam hand applicator that "absorbs" less product than a bigger PC foam pad. :cool:

That's the beauty of the PC pads, once they absorb the product, you can just keep spreading it around w/out the need to add more product to the pad. All of this is really product dependent, some waxes or sealants are less prone to thick applications than others (Meguiar's 16 vs 21, for example).

Are you talking about the cheap single use white pads that come with the PC or the aftermarket foam pads that dont really absorb polish?

That's correct. Meguiar's has new pads w/ better velcro backing which are machine washable. They seem to hold/spread the product even better than before!

who would use the pad that comes with the PC

A lot of people that dont know better. I was confused by the comment about pad absorption because my CCS finishing pad just spreads the polish and holds it in the little pockets but doesnt really absorb any of it.

Back