• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So I got a PC, questions aplenty

The Digital Slacker

Hard-core CEG'er
So I got the Porter Cable I talked about in the other thread.
I also got the starter kit with all the different foam pads, as discussed in other thread.

I actually had the time to sit down last night and look at it and instantly I realized I had no idea how the pads attach. It looks like the white foam pad that is currently on the machine is glued onto the backing bit (don't know what its called). I am assuming I need to put the foam pads directly onto the backing bit and take the current pad off. It seems like its glued on, so does that make all these pads 1 use items?

Also, I know I will need the polish liquid that goes on the pad. I stopped by pep boys today just to see what they had. They had some maguires swirl removed liquid that said it was medium cut. I guess I didn't do as much reading about this whole process as I had thought I did.

So there are different grits of compound that you use with different levels of cutting in the foam pads? How do you know what liquid to use with what pads then? I guess I had just thought that there was a polish that you used with the different pads and the pad was selected based on the type of paint condition you were working on.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

I think you'll find the pad is held on with velcro, so it should pull off.

As for polishes etc.-without wishing to start a major discussion on the pros and cons of various brands- look at the descriptions of the various 'grades' and how to use on griotsgarage.com. Also Griots publishes a good set of detailing notes.

The white pad that comes with it will pull off the velcro back plate so you can put the better foam pads on.

The liquid you use on each pad is half research and half personal experience. You'll be using a polish on the white pads which will have a little cut to it and then a sealant or wax on the finishing pad. The colors are different in different kits but if you got an orange pad for deep polishing thats what you'll use with paint cleaner and scratch removers.

the pad that comes with the PC is glued to it. you should have gotten a backing plate that attaches to the PC and has velcro on the face. the pads then attached to the velcro

if you got the kit you linked to before it doesn't have a backing plate.

you need soemthing like this
http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html

Last edited:
I think I mentioned getting that nice backing plate in the last thread. A friend of mine spent extra on that very one and I was skeptical until I saw how it performed against a regular backing plate that didnt flex at all.

Interesting.

That backing plate says its for up to 6" pads, yet the next one up says for 7.5" pads and up. Might as well email them.

Edit: nevermind, I did some more reading and the 6" backing plate is what I need so i ordered it.

Meguiar's has recently released/going to release many new polishes/cleaners w/ their Super Micro Abrasive Technology. There are consumer level products and "professional" level products. I've used the professional M105 w/ my PC w/ amazing results. This is one of the most aggressive products offered (12 on Meguiar's scale), yet it finishes w/ no swirls or need to follow up w/ another polish. Although, w/ the recently released M205, most people will follow M105 w/ the lighter cut M205. Early tests have shown that M205 can handle quite severe defects on its own, including swirls and light scratches. These two products along w/ M21 2.0 and Ultimate Quick Detailer are really the only products you would need to make your car look like a show car (assuming it has been washed and clayed as well). Check out AutoDetailingSolutions (ADS) and MegiarsOnLine for descriptions of these products. ADS offers sampler sizes at very reasonable prices. Their service is top notch, it is the only place I buy my detailing supplies from.

Oh yeah, Meguiar's just released new pads as well, w/ much better velcro backing and they are also machine washable. For $100, you can buy everything you need from ADS.

Back