• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cleaning cloth seats

PeppermintPatty

Is a bad kind of man, like that Jodie Foster
Cloth seats & door panel inserts...

Bottle of clear ammonia (non-suds)
Clean towel dampened w/ water
Large medium bristle toothbrush
well ventilated area

Dip toothbrush in ammonia, shake off excess & start scrubbing, working a 5" or so area at a time & follow with a wipe of the towel, repeat until the panel is complete. It's actually a quick process, not requiring much scrubbing. You're actually working the ammonia through the fabric & wiping. Stains may require the ammonia to sit a few minutes. This method cleans & brightens the colors in the fabric. Also works great on carpets, add 4:1 water & ammonia...sponge on carpets to brighten them.

Did an unbelievable job on my blue seats & doors, really brought out the other colors in the fabric & brightened the blue up considerably...I'm sure it was the first cleaning in the past 10 yrs. I like this much better than Tuff-Stuff.

I also used a diluted mixture lightly on the headliner...cleaned it up great, although I am not recommending this. Time will tell if it was destructive or not.

Cool. I'll have to keep this in mind. I did my carpets and seats in the SE with my Hoover steam vac Friday night. First carpet cleaning since I bought the car new in 98. Lots of soda damage from the crappy cupholders. Pass. side came out really good, but there were a lot of stains on the driver's carpet that wouldn't come out. I'll have to give the ammonia soak a shot. When I finished the water in the tank was the nastiest I've ever seen. It was very nearly BLACK. :barf:

Dayum, I'm going to have to try this! I have been meaning to take a day to clean the entire interior. I have this brown spot that surfaced on my driver's seat when I was sitting down one day and spilled a bit of water. I dunno where it came from :crazy:. Thanks ;)

sounds like a shart to me too...:shrug:

I tried it on one spot on the seat & wound up doing the entire seat because of the clean spot, couldn't believe the difference

Back