• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Example of the power of a polishing wheel

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
Not an orbital. Seems like some get confused on the difference. 1 will burn through paint if not experienced. An orbital is just for wax applying and removing.

What Huntervf on shoforum can do with a wheel.

Wet sanding with 1500 grit for scratch/blemish removal
Compounding the entire car via high speed polishing wheel
External wash after compound to remove all compound residue
Finish glaze after compound via high speed polishing wheel

plus_2nd.jpg

plus_1st.jpg

After
plus_front.jpg

plus_side2.jpg

As long as you know what you're doing and are paying attention a polishing wheel can do things a random orbital cant in terms of paint correction. Thats an amazing turn around.

Polishing wheel = rotary? (I'm assuming yes).

Any close ups of the finish? Looks good from a distance, but it would be nice to see some sun reflection shots to see the true condition of the paint.

Well then the pictures are hiding a lot of the previous damage. It looks to me like there is a lot of bare metal/plastic/rust that is no longer visible. You can't fix that with a polishing wheel.

the spot on the rear pass side 1/4 panel would NOT look that good with sandpaper and a rotary....... I'd like some close up shots as well to see if any depth is left at all in the finish.

i'm sure the rust spots were sanded away and painted over even if just with a rattle can. otherwise a rotary wheel in the hands of someone experienced can do wonders as seen in the pics. in the after pics u can clearly see the spots under the fuel cap and rear trunk. obviously u cant polish away rust. but overall looks fantastic and most likely done on the cheap. if its a beater, it looks fantastic and i'm sure the owner isnt too concerned about having the trunk and rear quarter panel professionally repainted just to get rid of the noticeable border lines from the previous rust. give a mechanical onceover and resell it for a profit. detailing a car will always make people think it runs great when their used car shopping. exterior looks great, engine must be equally maintained...you hope.

it does look better but guessing most if not all of the clear coat is gone!

You're assuming it had a clear coat in the first place.

I've been meaning to use my new polisher and ccm pads on the SVT. Its already glass smooth but there are a few little blemishes I hope it can help with.

Back