• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which topper is right for me?

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
I know I'll get a million answers to this question, but I'm looking for options. Last summer, I used Mothers FX wax. It was OK.
Now I bought Megs 3 step system with cleaner, polish, and carnuba. It looks a hell of a lot better, but the carnuba wears really fast.
Is it OK to use a topper on it like #20 or #21? Will that lengthen the life of the carnuba or strip it or what?
Also, if I were to use ScratchX to get some scratches out, would I then use all three steps after that? or just polish? or....??
Thanks,
Erick --

Shorter life is one of the carnuba drawbacks you run into. I've used the Meguiars 3 step myself but honestly once you do the cleaning once you can just give it to a friend since the polishing and then waxing will keep the paint happy as long as you keep up with it. Scratch X is just a polish so after you used it you would just want to re-wax over that area. Honestly I wouldnt mess with a topper at all and would just get some quick detailer to use between waxings and tell you when you need to wash and wax again.

carnuba is a topper. you would want to use it on top of a sealent if you wanted to use a topper. or a synthetic wax. i just use a sealent and call it done.

For a deep shine people will top the polish/sealant with a carnuba and then top that with a synthetic wax that will help the carnuba last longer than a month.

Sealant goes before carnuba. You will be much happier w/ Meguiar's #21 or #20. These really don't need a topper because they look so good by them selves. I've had these last 6+ months on my DD through VT winters! ScratchX has diminishing abrasives, so it will go from a cleaner to a polish as you work it in. You will need to apply some sort of protectant over that area. Are you working by hand or machine? Meguiar's #80 will give you better results than the 3-step cleaner and polish, and it only requires one step. Meguiar's #2 is now PC safe, if you have one. It breaks down to leave a nice finish, so you don't need to follow that up with a polish. It's available at many auto parts stores.

Back