• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

new to severe detailing

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
Hey. Ive never really cleaned my car this thorough before so I think its time to try. I usually just wash dry then wax it. But ive been reading about this a little on here and i think ive got what im gonna try. Here goes...

Shampoo- Poor Boy's Super Slick & Suds
Cleaner- Klasse All In One
Polish- Menzerna
Sealant- Poor Boys EX-P
Topper- Poor Boy's Natty Blue
Wheel Cleaner- 4Star
Leather-4 Star cleaner and conditioner
Tire Dressing- Poor Boy's
Interior Glass- Stoner's

I have a few questions though. Im not sure what Menzerna to use. I realize this is going to be a very expensive wash but once i do it im sure ill be happy with the way it looks. Any suggestions or tips you guys could give me? Gotta get the car lookin brand new cause i will have a freshly painted trunk that is brighter then the paint on the rest of the car.

yea i forgot to put a clay bar in there but i wasnt sure which kind to get. as for the other question i just want it to look really nice instead of lookin like a typical daily driver.

Well what kind of polishing machine are you planning on using? A lot of people prefer the Griots machine to the Porter Cable version that is cheaper on paper.

The Porter Cable and the Griots are both Random Orbital buffers. The difference is the PC comes with one pad on a rod whereas the Griots comes with velcro backed pads for polishing AND waxing.

The Porter Cable and the Griots are both Random Orbital buffers. The difference is the PC comes with one pad on a rod whereas the Griots comes with velcro backed pads for polishing AND waxing.
pc has a velcro plate:shrug:

I love the pc but you can't really do a whole lot with it besides eliminating swirls. in an ideal world i would have a makita buffer and a pc to get rid of halos and mistakes i made with the buffer

Do the Klasse before the polish, or else all the protection that it adds will get polished away.
did you mean to say that? sanding -> compound -> polish -> cleaner (not that neccessary) -> wax -> topper

yeah and what self detailer is just going to use the pad that comes with it? I certainly didn't ....

Well I'd hope a self detailer would buy a better unit like the Griots that already comes with the velcro backed parts ready to do.

I love the pc but you can't really do a whole lot with it besides eliminating swirls. in an ideal world i would have a makita buffer and a pc to get rid of halos and mistakes i made with the buffer

With the right products and techniques, the PC can be a very powerful tool for defect removal. This is from a post I made on Meguiar's online:

As part of a research project at the University of Vermont I am testing the performance of a battery electric vehicle in the cold/hilly terrain of Vermont. We had to bring the car to a clean car demo recently and I just couldn't bring a dirty clean car
028.gif
so I had to give the car the Meguiar's treatment.

The paint was in very rough shape. It appears to have been washed w/ a car wash brush on more than one occasion, leaving straight-line scratches and swirls all over the place:

DSC02693-ps.jpg

DSC02695-ps.jpg

I recently purchased a G110 (ex PC 7424 user) and some M105. I realize this product is not intended for G110 use, but I figured what better way than a black car to test out this product?
chuckle.gif

I washed the car and clayed the entire car first. I started out trying the M105 by hand w/ a foam applicator. After just 2 quick passes, 90% of the defects were removed from my test area:

DSC02690-ps.jpg

One thing I noticed right away was that M105 appeared difficult to remove after it was worked in, but a quick mist of QD took care of that problem.

Happy with the results, I decided to try the G110 w/ a 8006 pad. The combo worked superbly! Here are a couple of reflection shots of my brother immediately after removing the M105:

DSC02702-ps.jpg

DSC02703-ps.jpg

I followed this up w/ #81, #21 2.0, hyper dressing on the tires and Glass Cleaner Concentrate (diluted of course) on the windows. Here is the finished product:

DSC02706-ps.jpg

And finally, here is the car on display at the clean car event after a quick wipe down w/ M135, with a close up of the sun's image:

CIMG0166-ps.jpg

CIMG0170-ps.jpg

Aside from the difficulty removing the M105 and the dusting, this experiment was very successful.

I have since tweaked my process to eliminate the difficult product removal. I detailed my brother's 99 SVT w/ similar paint issues and achieved similar results.

Very nice job. I saw a G110 the other day and it really looked like a quality machine like the Griots Garage polisher.

I forget that exact specs, but I believe the G110 is something like 20% more powerful than the PC. Speed 5 in the G110 results in equivalent OPM as the PC on speed 6, but the more powerful motor keeps the pad spinning, where the PC would most likely resort to jiggling instead of oscillating.

It also comes w/ a velcro backing plate, a nice handle, and a plastic storage box.

Hey. Ive never really cleaned my car this thorough before so I think its time to try. I usually just wash dry then wax it. But ive been reading about this a little on here and i think ive got what im gonna try. Here goes...

Shampoo- Poor Boy's Super Slick & Suds
Cleaner- Klasse All In One
Polish- Menzerna
Sealant- Poor Boys EX-P
Topper- Poor Boy's Natty Blue
Wheel Cleaner- 4Star
Leather-4 Star cleaner and conditioner
Tire Dressing- Poor Boy's
Interior Glass- Stoner's

I have a few questions though. Im not sure what Menzerna to use. I realize this is going to be a very expensive wash but once i do it im sure ill be happy with the way it looks. Any suggestions or tips you guys could give me? Gotta get the car lookin brand new cause i will have a freshly painted trunk that is brighter then the paint on the rest of the car.

Do you have a Porter Cable 7424? I would recommend you to start by first using the orange pad and Menzerna Intensive Polish for swirl removal. Then follow up with a white pad and Menzerna Final Polish II. Finish off with a glaze and cover with your favorite wax and sealant .

1. orange pad with Menzerna Intensive Polish
Orange Pad - http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.ph...Lake-Country-M7/Orange-Light-Cutting-Pad-P58/
Menzerna Intensive Polish - http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.ph...age.com/Menzerna-M10/Intensive-Polish-IP-P72/

2. White pad with Menzerna Final Polish II
White Pad - http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.ph....com/Lake-Country-M7/White-Polishing-Pad-P57/
Menzerna Final Polish II - http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.ph...ge.com/Menzerna-M10/Final-Polish-II-FPII-P73/

3. Glaze - http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.ph...m/Menzerna-M10/Finishing-Touch-Glaze-FTG-P77/
Black finishing pad - http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.ph....com/Lake-Country-M7/Black-Finishing-Pad-P60/

ive done some reading up and things and ive decided on the g110. heres the list as of right now

poorboys shampoo
wolfgang elastic clay kit
menzerna intensive polish
menzerna final polish
mirror glaze#20
pinnacle wheel and tire kit

i have some questions though. each time i remove the polish and clay kit do i need a new cloth or can i use one cloth for all the clay then a different cloth for the first polish and a different for the final polish?? from reading write ups and stuff i never saw if each section done on the car requires its own towel or one towel can be used for each product. another question is how do i go about washing the cloths after the car is clean? can i toss em in the washer and dryer or will the detergent ruin them?

Back