• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Restore Headlamps

harrup

CEG'er
Is there a way to get the haze off? I've priced replacement lamps & the cheapest I could find are still $199 each at Autozone.

The way i do them at work is Wet sand with 1000Grit sometimes have to bump it up a notch but my headlights where done with 1000Grit then Spray with clear with a UV protectant..My boss has been doing them this way for about 10years now with no complaints from any of the customers..

Now i know not everyone can do them this way but i'll throw it out there..

EDIT: Pics added After shot a few weeks ago on my SVT at work..Wet sand with 1000Grit and reclear..Some we have to bump it up a notch with the gritt to remove the old clearcoat on the light.
headlight.jpg

Last edited:
Remove Haze on Headlamps

Remove Haze on Headlamps

The only people in Richmond, VA who I can find to restore the headlamps on my 00 SE are Merchant Tire & Auto. They have a chemical they put on for $99 but event that did not work too well. The Body Shops I had talked to did not seem to know anything about sanding. Maybe they just didn't want to do such a small job.

The only people in Richmond, VA who I can find to restore the headlamps on my 00 SE are Merchant Tire & Auto. They have a chemical they put on for $99 but event that did not work too well. The Body Shops I had talked to did not seem to know anything about sanding. Maybe they just didn't want to do such a small job.

Saw the other day Walmart Auto now offers lense cleaning. About $40 for both sides I think and had a pretty long guarantee also. Haven't seen their work and it of course its Walmart :shrug: but the price and guarantee seemed good.

They use the same kit you can buy in the store. The 3M kit with the sanding disks and polishing pad is the much better deal at $15-20.

Saw the other day Walmart Auto now offers lense cleaning. About $40 for both sides I think and had a pretty long guarantee also. Haven't seen their work and it of course its Walmart :shrug: but the price and guarantee seemed good.

Tried it. Worked pretty well on pre98 headlights to be honest. Still clear after a few months...

i just use 1000 grit paper, then use a buffer/polishing ball on my pneumatic dye grinder with some polish. works wonders

From Meguiar's Online:

We are excited to announce a consumer friendly way to give clear plastics a new lease on life in
just one easy step using our new Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit.
pepper.gif

HeadlightKit_Mockb.png

headlight_action_shot.jpg

HeadlightKit_Family.jpg

This kit restores like-new clarity to cloudy, scratched, oxidized and yellowed, uncoated plastic surfaces. Our proven PlastX formula works in concert with our unique buffing pad and your drill to safely deliver amazing results in just minutes.

Kit contains:
1 each - 6 oz. bottle of PlastX
1 each - Proprietary drill mounted polishing pad
1 each - Microfiber towel

MSRP - $24.99

This kit is currently available at select CSK Auto (Checker, Schucks, Kragen, Murray's) stores and will be available in other retail outlets in the near future

i just use 1000 grit paper, then use a buffer/polishing ball on my pneumatic dye grinder with some polish. works wonders

Yep. 1000 grit will cut through most of the headlights out there and get you ready to polish them up.

From Meguiar's Online:

We are excited to announce a consumer friendly way to give clear plastics a new lease on life in just one easy step using our new Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit
Kit contains:
1 each - 6 oz. bottle of PlastX
1 each - Proprietary drill mounted polishing pad
1 each - Microfiber towel

MSRP - $24.99

This kit is currently available at select CSK Auto (Checker, Schucks, Kragen, Murray's) stores and will be available in other retail outlets in the near future

My only problem is that a lot of headlights out there wouldnt see that much difference. You still have to sand heavy oxidation away, which PlastX cant do. The 3M kit with sanding disks, a backing pad, polish and a foam polish pad is the better deal at $15-20.

I used 800 on my headlights. I thought I ruined them but then I went to 1000grit - 1500grit - 2000grit. I used rubbing compound on them and had a buddy polish them. PERFECTION restored. This stuff looks like it does the job really well.

I used 800 on my headlights. I thought I ruined them but then I went to 1000grit - 1500grit - 2000grit. I used rubbing compound on them and had a buddy polish them. PERFECTION restored. This stuff looks like it does the job really well.

This stuff? 800 will make them look even worse unless you understand that its just the first step in a process. 2000 and some polish is enough for some cars but a lot of cars need more grit to take that layer off.

Mine were realy bad even after the 1000,1500,2000 wet sand and then Blue magic lens polish they had hunderds of fine hair line cracks ,and looked like:censored: Got a pair of after market lens for $134.95 a pair shipped! From AM auto parts even came with bulbs!! www.am-autoparts.com. That was cheaper than some of our local junkyards for used that weren't much better than what I had !!

BTW, Ian did you ever take the nubs off your headlights?

No. My stepdad's Dremel is busted, as are most of his other tools. He barely uses them, so I don't see how he breaks them, lol. I'd prefer to get rid of those stupid things, though. It's hard to wetsand around them.

those nubs are how you are supposed to aim the headlights. there is a tool that attaches to the nubs and tells you how to adjust the light.

those nubs are how you are supposed to aim the headlights. there is a tool that attaches to the nubs and tells you how to adjust the light.

Yeah I don't use that. It's a waste of time, lol. I took measurements and adjusted based on the light output, not on the headlight itself.

Back