• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

California Dust Brush

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I've used a california dust brush for years, since before I owned the SVT. But now I wonder if using it on my black SVT, with a brand new paint job, has caused light scratches and swirrels in the clearcoat. The manufacturer says that it works even better after it gets dirty, but I'm thinking that's BS. Now that my SVT is getting repainted AGAIN, I'm considering not using it at all. I'm also ditching the chamois (sp?) for a quality gel blade. What do you all think about the brush? Doesn't seem all that kosher.

I've used a california dust brush for years, since before I owned the SVT. But now I wonder if using it on my black SVT, with a brand new paint job, has caused light scratches and swirrels in the clearcoat. The manufacturer says that it works even better after it gets dirty, but I'm thinking that's BS. Now that my SVT is getting repainted AGAIN, I'm considering not using it at all. I'm also ditching the chamois (sp?) for a quality gel blade. What do you all think about the brush? Doesn't seem all that kosher.

I've not had any problems with the duster, but I don't use it if it looks like there's enough dirt to wipe with a finger. I basically only use it right after washing to keep it clean before and during a show. Also, I'd avoid the blades; I saw the finish of a perfectly good Porsche get ruined by one. Stick with microfiber to dry and use the open-ended hose method to rinse.

I have 2 of them. One came brand new with my 2000 SVT from the previous owner and for some reason it leaves grease streaks on the car when I dust with it. I think I might just throw it out.

My other one works perfectly. Never leaves any marks, swirls or scratches.

I have 2 of them. One came brand new with my 2000 SVT from the previous owner and for some reason it leaves grease streaks on the car when I dust with it. I think I might just throw it out.

My other one works perfectly. Never leaves any marks, swirls or scratches.

if it was brand new did you let it air out for 24 hours before using it?

tony, when they are brand new they do that.
like brian said, let it air our and after a few uses it will stop.

tony, when they are brand new they do that.
like brian said, let it air our and after a few uses it will stop.

Well it wasn't just the first time using it. Happened quite a few times after. Even after letting it sit out for a while.

The sticky in this forum says the blades work great. How would one ruin the finish with a gel blade? I am paranoid about wiping my car with anything. Maybe I'll just let my car air dry, and then go over it with microfiber and quick-detailer. Would that be the safer option?

Definitely not!! You don't ever want water spots to dry on your paint, but obviously it's hard to avoid if you drive it in the rain. Always dry the car after washing. Pick up an ABSORBER from Wal Mart for $9. Don't get an imitation. Get the ABSORBER brand. They work better than cotton towels, won't leave fine swirl marks like some towels, and you can just wring it out once it's full of water, and keep going.
I've also heard of the blades doing damage to the paint. Not the blade itself, but it can't pickup any sort of debris that might be on the car, so it will just drag it along the surface of the paint.

Cliffs Notes: ABSORBER!!!!

Mark

Definitely not!! You don't ever want water spots to dry on your paint, but obviously it's hard to avoid if you drive it in the rain. Always dry the car after washing. Pick up an ABSORBER from Wal Mart for $9. Don't get an imitation. Get the ABSORBER brand. They work better than cotton towels, won't leave fine swirl marks like some towels, and you can just wring it out once it's full of water, and keep going.
I've also heard of the blades doing damage to the paint. Not the blade itself, but it can't pickup any sort of debris that might be on the car, so it will just drag it along the surface of the paint.

Mark

I can also sing the praises of the Absorber . They work great . I even have one that I've had (and used) for 20 yrs. :shocked: . I think it actually dries better than my new one that I bought when I bought the SVT (figured it'd be best for my new , black car to have it's very own ;) ) . Use & store it correctly & it'll last a looooong time .

Good move on ditching the chamois, as that's the likely cause of your spiderwebbing (light scratches). Plus they can strip wax from the paint in the process.

Everyone I know who works in the detailing business recommends waffle-weave microfiber towels.

Mark

Who's this Cliff character you speak of? He sounds smart.

By the way Ryan, why is your car being repainted AGAIN??? You just got it repainted a little over a year ago!!

Mark

Yeah it was originally repainted because the contractors hired to paint at my apartment, got overspray all over my car. This last repaint was due to the shop that rebuilt my engine in July, they scratched the **** out of my car in multiple places. So It's back to a brand new paint job...again. Now I just need to get it running perfectly, make some $$ and get back to modding.

you know what's fun? blowdrying.
Our shop vac blower detaches and acts as a leaf blower.
Works great for blow drying the majority of the water off the car. :)

I've also had the streaking problem from my duster, but I don't see any indication of scratches from the duster.

Have any of you personally had any bad experiences with a gel blade? I will look into this Absorber, but wouldn't it absorb dirt particles just as bad as a chamois?

Have any of you personally had any bad experiences with a gel blade? I will look into this Absorber, but wouldn't it absorb dirt particles just as bad as a chamois?

not sure on the dirt particals but the shop that did my paint was using an absorber to dry my car off from being washed down or being out in the rain last friday, and of course the paint was fresh, think the think is the absorber needs to be used damp as the instruction say rinse in warm water before first use and that it can be stored slightly damp to be ready for use the next time around

Ryan, you are as anal about your car as I am about mine. TRUST ME!! Buy an Absorber!! Have you been staying up late, listening to infomercials about the gel blades? Buy an Absorber!! They are $9 at Wal Mart. They are the ONLY thing I use on my paint!

Mark

you know what's fun? blowdrying.
Our shop vac blower detaches and acts as a leaf blower.
Works great for blow drying the majority of the water off the car.

I use an electric leaf blower to dry my car. Works great, especially after detailing the engine to get water out of hard to reach areas where water shouldn't be.

I started using it after some guys on another forum recommended this technique. They say the less you rub something across the surface the less likely you are to get swirl marks and scratches. Makes sense to me.

Back