• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NEW Item, Pioneer Avic-d3 $999, Free shipping

Now if our cars had the double din open for the stero I would have gotten the AVIC-D3.

Get a Pre98 console, rip out the little DIN sized storage tray and ashtray/lighter, trim it a bit and you've got a double DIN hole, AND still have an extra single DIN where your orignal HU went!

I think the depth is there in the pre-98 console. What the problem is, IMO, is that the mounting position is so low it reduces the usability of the system. Not to mention that it will be obscured by the shifter. If the screen has to move to access a cd/dvd slot behind it, the shifter might not allow it to open.

So has anyone purchased the Avic-D3? I'm looking for a double din gps and was hoping someone could give me their comments on this system.

for the avic d-3 you have to re-pin the mute wire to the lower location in the harness and then ground both that and the actual ground wire...

works like a charm!

I've installed about 8 or 9 of them now and everybody loves them. However on my recent trip to Virginia from Chicago the gps (in the D3) died out plenty of times even when we weren't in the mountains. The memory nav kind of sucks because you cant really zoom in very close it just shows you the basic route, but don't doubt that it doesnt get you there. If you're looking for a gps for that cheap then there is no other way around it, thats what you have to get for the price. FYI you can buy the D3 on ebay for about 695 plus shipping. I think my friend bought it for around 720 total...

Last edited:
i dont know why... you just have to in order for it to play dvds when you're moving... it was the same w/ the D2

I've put a bunch of pioneer mobile videos in and never had to re-pin them to get the dvd function to work. Usually just have to ground out the e-brake wire, but it shows on the manual how to hook it up properly. The AVIC-D3 though you can't really do that because the GPS overrides the e-brake function.... I've seen things on e-bay that they can resauder the board so you can watch dvd's while driving, but that's all up to you...

Only the GPS ones need to be re pinned... the D2, (maybe N1, N2, and N3) and D3.

I have the 5700 in my car and all I needed was a switch. All pioneers need at LEAST a switch because every time acc power is lost the unit resets and is needed to lose the (-) and re gain the (-) signal to allow for video to be watched. That is why the parking brake works just like an inturrupting switch on the non GPS units. When you have the GPS units you need to re pin the harness. There is no soldering needed at all.

d3_bypass_137.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm.... rather interesting.... Can't say I've ever heard of this re-pin trick yet... I'm assuming since you're describing this so well that you've done it first hand before?? Do you have a link or something were you learned this from or was it just word of mouth like here on the forums?

Yeah... I've done it in my friends car and we took a trip to Virginia and it works still (over 2 weeks).

I heard of this on the D2 about 2 years ago at work (I'm an installer) and worked on the D3. The Pioneer sales rep knows about this trick and also confirms that it still works.

Back