• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

new battery relocation started

GIT-R-DONE

Veteran CEG'er
Started the install on the new setup today. I will be tackling a little bit more of it tomorrow, with the completion of it taking place next week when the battery box comes it and i can put the battery in the trunk for good.

Here is most of the stuff hanging out in the trunk prior to laying out wires.

2z7iyja.jpg

4g59x0.jpg

Distribution box with 150 amp fuse for alternator, and two solid links for the starter and fuse box wires.

3166smt.jpg

Difference in the cables. from left to right, 8ga, 4ga, 1/0ga.

a0gmxw.jpg

Here is how Ive started the wire routing, more to come.

34pdri8.jpg

4hwcqq.jpg

fwrsi0.jpg

bflhl.jpg

1zqc782.jpg

14prug.jpg

Box came in today. Wont have a chance to finish up the rest of the install until next week.

35jj7na.jpg

1/0 gauge on right for battery to main distribution block pictured in center. Center roll of wire is 4ga for alternator and starter to distribution block. Left roll is 8ga for the small distribution block pictured above it, to the main distribution block with the starter and alternator connections. And battery terminal for the 1/0 wire.

Thanks for the explanation, one day i would like to do this. At this point i really have no need.

I did a battery relocation and shut off switch (track) on my Mustang. For whatever reason I made the connection wrong for the Alternator, needed to run through the switch I think. Anyway, ended up frying the whole power wire (installed in the interior). Smoke coming from everywhere. Scary few seconds.

I didnt even try it a different way. Went out an bought a one wire alternator the next day.

Interior shot made me cringe a little for that reason. I think I seen a few run under the car, TUFTOUR I believe. I guess its no different then running a subwoofer though.

Stories like that is why I ran mine under the car...having subframe connectors made it pretty easy to protect from the elements.

I'll be adding either a inline fuse or circuit breaker at the battery on both the main cable, and power wire for the amp coming off the battery as well.

A couple more pics. Wont be able to finish it completely til the weekend. Just have to mount the tray, run the alternator and starter cable's, and sort out the grounds. Then hook it all up, and hope for no fireworks!

fnbvip.jpg

4qlbih.jpg

Didnt recognize it's been two months already, but I haven't had the chance, or motivation rather, to finish it up yet. Still have to find a hole in the center or passenger side of the firewall if not drill one. The cables are already made and ready, just gotta do a little bit of work to finish it up.

just a slight update and almost finished product. Ordering a circuit breaker to add near the battery, and then finish up the grounds under the bay for a cleaner look. here are a couple pics from the past few times working on the project. Ill have finished pics tomorrow.

The two 4ga wires for starter and alternator, and 8 ga ran to the smaller distribution block for the fusebox wiring.
vpye14.jpg

the alternator and starter wires run and tied up
x6lkqt.jpg

starter hooked up
1si1op.jpg

8ga wire run from the distribution block to the front to wire up the old fusebox wiring.
153mnpx.jpg

2vw79eg.jpg

Back