• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Advice installing 4ch speaker amp

doomsayer559

CEG'er
I bought a 400w 4ch amplifier to mount under the passenger seat and power all 4 speakers. I am curious whether I can run the speaker wire up to the deck location and tap into the original wiring there. Or if its best to run new speaker wire (thinking 16ga) to all the doors. And if so any advice to help me get the wiring there would help out a lot!

Well with my Pioneer amp (300w RMS IIRC) which I put under the passenger seat I ended up running new bigger speaker wires separately, but this is because the stock wires were very small gauge, and also seemed to change color from the plug on the door and didn't feel like finding them all in the dash. You may choose to do it differently, but get a good look at the gauge of the stock wires and decide which route you want to go as I am not an audio expert.

What I can tell you for sure, is use www.knukonceptz.com for the wiring needs, not only are their wires incredibly nice, but their pricing is highly competitive.

I mounted my 4 ch under the drivers seat and run the wires through the center console and tied them into the factory wiring.

How many watts are you running to through the wiring?

Amp is an Alpine MRPF300, it has 50a of fusing on it, wiring is just 8ga. I've only been using the front 2 channels for the past few months, so current draw is even less.

Most I would run through 8ga is 60amps or so. I don't buy cheap wire either, so I know the sizes are true and I'm not just getting some extra thick rubber jacketing like most cheap companies out there.

If you want to get real technical with wiring, there are 2 types- copper clad aluminum (cca) and oxygen free copper (ofc)

ofc is always going to be better, but unless you are running 100's of amps through them, the difference really isn't that important.

audiosavings.com had a daily deal a few weeks back of 22ft of 4ga cadence cca wire for $13 shipped, that works out to only $.59 a foot! You will never find wiring that cheap or for the price the quality will be no where near as good.

knukonceptz is a good place to buy from, but sometimes you can find limited time deals that are a better value, you just have to be patient and shop around

I mounted my 5 chan amp on my back driver side seat. I ran my 4 door speaker wires to where the factory amp is. I unplugged the main harness, and cut and tied into the factory wires. I didn't have the time/parts on hand to get my wires into the doors, I wasn't expecting the door setup lol, but will run my wires there soon.

I have no probs with how its hooked up, it sounds great, no alt noise, very clear. I'm only pushing 60rms to each door speaker though.

Also, as someone said, for me my rear speakers were same color wires for left/right in the back, and switched up front. Still, is very easy to figure out which one it is. I could open my glovebox and take a pic of it for you if you need.

Back