• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Free-air subs

Nightwolf

CEG'er
Well I am getting older and the thought of having 2 12 inch subs in my trunk is starting to turn me off, not really my thing any more. Can some one suggest a set of 8inch subs to use free-air for mounting in the back deck?

8" Tang Band's in the rear deck. JVC Arsenal headunit. Orion component 5x7's. Alpine amp.
8inchreardeckspeakers005.jpg

8inchreardeckspeakers010.jpg

4-26-09015.jpg

^^^^^^

Just do a ported or bandpass 8 or 10, the box will take up as much space as a single 12 sealed. You will get much more output as well.

Yes, he did...I have set of 8" t-red ones that he made for me that I've been trying to sell if interested.

I’m also looking at added a “free air” sub to my rear deck.
Any advice on sealing the trunk off from the interior, in particular how well dose it need to be sealed?
Are there any problem areas that I need to pay special attention to?
Are there any areas around the perimeter of the deck or the vertical panel the rear seats latch to that have openings that need to be sealed off?

What I have planned initially is to apply several layers of sound deadener top and bottom, and then ¼ ply top and bottom to help with stiffening up the flimsy rear deck.
Then making a baffle panel to seal up the opening where the seats fold down. Probably use ½ or ¾ ply with a couple layers of sound deadener on either side of that and then ¼ ply over that with what ever material I’m going to use to finish it off with.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated…

Thank you, please drive thru…

Joe, do you have more detailed pics and a list of the materials you used for your install? I would like to do something very like what you've done, but want to make sure I have everything prepared before I get started on it. Thanks!!

Joe, do you have more detailed pics and a list of the materials you used for your install? I would like to do something very like what you've done, but want to make sure I have everything prepared before I get started on it. Thanks!!

Well, you need a L or R cut tin snips to make the circle holes in the rear deck. After you have the deck holes cut in the metal, put the carpeted deck back in and trace the holes from under the metal deck. Cut the holes in the carpet deck.

I put black material over the carpet.

Mounting the subs in the rear deck really shakes the crap out of the 3rd brake light and everything rattles a lot..... something to think about before you do all the work.

It's a bummer that it rattles everything. I guess the rear deck wasn't really designed for that kind of stress. It looks pretty awesome, but I want it to sound decent, too. Thanks!!!

It would sound good if you made a new rear deck cover that actually is secured to the rear deck metal and possibly remove the 3rd brake light. Then I'm sure it would sound very very good.

It would sound good if you made a new rear deck cover that actually is secured to the rear deck metal and possibly remove the 3rd brake light. Then I'm sure it would sound very very good.

Hmmmm.... something to think about. I would really like to have a sub or two in my car, but need to keep a little bit of trunk space for spare parts on track days.

Why not a hidden box under the package tray with a down (or up) fire 8"? Much more stable than free air. You have to have the trunk completely sealed off from the cabin as the trunk is your box now. Seems like too much work to be affective.

Hmmmm.... something to think about. I would really like to have a sub or two in my car, but need to keep a little bit of trunk space for spare parts on track days.

That's exactly why I don't want a box or have any enclosure hanging under the rear deck. I often put extra sets of wheels or oversized stuff in the trunk of my contour. I'm already dreading that I built up the floor 2" to put my full size 17" FSVT wheel where the donut spare was...... 2" is a lot to lose.

Mount the amp to back seats and just run a single woofer with some sort of a cover over the woofer and take the box out when you have put lots of stuff back there. A single 10 ported on 300-500wrms will give enough output to satisfy most people, will take up less than 2cu/ft of space and usually weighs less than 40lbs.

Back