• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Are any of these high output alternators any good?

Westwildcat

CEG'er
Here are three different sellers on ebay selling high ouptut alternators for 2.5L contour:

200A @ $220 - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-ALTERNAT...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6b20c035

200A @ $185 - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HIGH-OUTPUT-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3170f459

240A @ $170 - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ford-Contour...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5f55ebef

I have them listed as to what I think would likely be the better to the worse, the first one being the best out of the three. Atleast it lists amps at 600 rpm and 1200 rpm. The third and cheapest one I sent the seller a question asking what the amperage was at idle and when hot and he couldnt even tell me?

Are they all crap of does that first one look ok or???

Thanks

I'd say that the alternator from DbElectrical would be the best in terms of quality. I've heard of other using alternators from them, and they didn't have problems. And you can't go wrong for $220, heck ford charges alot more for their standard alternators!

I'm actually in search of a high-output alternator for my '99 sable, so I see myself buying one from the powermaxusa seller being the cheapskate that I am :D

Check with Mechman, Ohio Generator, Powermaster or DC Power Engineering- those are the best companies on the market for ho alts IMO.

Well I haven't gotten 2 days in a row (just in case) to install it yet but I have the last one linked, and I can tell you that the materials look like great quality, has all the same parts as the two 200A ones including the white voltage regulator, so it's probably the same thing. I can say that the overdrive pulley will probably require a 1" shorter belt, that's what the instruction say anyway, saying stock pulley can cause a no-charge condition under 1K RPMs.

The unit is also really heavy, I'll have to get the old one and hold them side-by-side to really judge but even as heavy as the stock is, this one feels heavier.

Well had my 240 amp installed from an ebay company called Powermax and it was awesome, at idle charge was about normal but any sort of increase in RPM and you could really notice the extra power, my old alt was stock and worked perfectly according to alt testers, but on heavy bass with the high beams on there would be a slight dimming of the lights and the drivers side window was always slow and would make the lights slightly dim while being raised, the power drivers seat was also slow. With the upgraded alt even just revving to 1K made the drivers side window noticeably quicker and no longer dimmed the lights, power seat went from making a slow whirring noise and sounding like it was gonna die to actually sounding like a normal power seat. No more dimming lights regardless of high beams or anything else.

Only problem I had was a bad bearing that made it have a high pitched whine, almost like a supercharger. Other than that it was great and didn't need a different belt from stock.

Well had my 240 amp installed from an ebay company called Powermax and it was awesome, at idle charge was about normal but any sort of increase in RPM and you could really notice the extra power, my old alt was stock and worked perfectly according to alt testers, but on heavy bass with the high beams on there would be a slight dimming of the lights and the drivers side window was always slow and would make the lights slightly dim while being raised, the power drivers seat was also slow. With the upgraded alt even just revving to 1K made the drivers side window noticeably quicker and no longer dimmed the lights, power seat went from making a slow whirring noise and sounding like it was gonna die to actually sounding like a normal power seat. No more dimming lights regardless of high beams or anything else.

Only problem I had was a bad bearing that made it have a high pitched whine, almost like a supercharger. Other than that it was great and didn't need a different belt from stock.

Awsome i may go with that 240 amp powermax rather than the 160 amp my alternator is kinda acting weird......How long was it on your car total just curious im looking to get a alternator that will last 4 years + stronger since i run my fans full time and may put a mild system in it soon.....mine has a bearing noise to after i put my good year belt on its probably the tensioner pulley or something but i cant wait to get rid of my crappy alternator

Oh lol i was hopping you would say it was on for a few years lol.....i might just get the db alternator then thanks

Back