• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

tweeter replacement?

cetroutt

Veteran CEG'er
i had a pair of MTX Thunder8000 T8.6 components given to me. it seems that one of the tweeters is shot. so i'm looking for some ideas for cheap replacement tweeters. i don't have a sub or any amps. i have an older HU and i'm just replacing the speakers with something better than stock, so i'm not looking for anything highend. any suggestions?

Where are they mounted? And are they flush mounted (hole drilled for them) or just surface mounted. The reason I ask is I had my tweeters mounted in the sail panels (where the side view mirrors are) and had to do some modifications for depth issues. Don't want to get tweeters that are too deep.

i don't have them installed yet. i'm going to surface mount them on the the defrost vent on the door. i just have to find some cheap but decent sounding tweeters.

thats the same place I mounted mine, I enlarged the screw hole to 1" and drilled a hole in the cup from the tweeter to hold the vent on. that way it was flush mounted and looked nice.

The tweeter is just a common 1" silk dome,
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?category_id=32&f_147=568
Polk Audio db1001 are nice. Honestly if they are not amped seperately, you're not going to be able to tell much of a difference between any of them. So you may just want to go with a cheap one. Something like a power acoustick NB.2 and just scratch off or paint over the embarrasing brand name.

do you by chance have a picture of your tweeters, so i can get an idea of how they look? i may just flush mount them.

I got rid of the car nearly 2 years ago. But I did find a couple old photos on my photobucket account.
DSC05688.jpg

DSC05769.jpg

heres the rears, I had components in all 4 doors.
DSC05774.jpg

thank you. after i see this done i will be flush mounting them, i thought that i would be okay with a surface mount and since its just a beater, but it just looks so much better for not to much work.

installed the components yesterday. waiting for the new tweeters. they sound great considering that i only have one tweeter. in the meantime i have that one working tweeter surface mounted and it looks like crap. i will definitely be flush mounting the tweeters. one question is where is the best place to mount the crossovers? i've been thinking i might moving them if i could find a better spot.

What brand are those tweeters in the pics? My alpines wont fit, to deep. So now i have a sail panel with a hole in it lol

Phoenix Gold XS 6.5" components, but they were phoenix golds of 10+ years ago when they were a different company that built good stuff. I think they've gone down the tubes in quality since then. Put the sail panel up with the hole in it and measure from the screw hole on the door to the surface of the sail panel. That will give you your mounting depth. Then search crutchfield to find what tweeters will fit. the PG's worked perfect, the mounting cup for the tweeter was screwed into the mouting hold and held everything up perfectly, then just wire it and pop in the tweeter and you're done.

Phoenix Gold XS 6.5" components, but they were phoenix golds of 10+ years ago when they were a different company that built good stuff. I think they've gone down the tubes in quality since then. Put the sail panel up with the hole in it and measure from the screw hole on the door to the surface of the sail panel. That will give you your mounting depth. Then search crutchfield to find what tweeters will fit. the PG's worked perfect, the mounting cup for the tweeter was screwed into the mouting hold and held everything up perfectly, then just wire it and pop in the tweeter and you're done.

Thanks for the reply. I cut 2" for the alpine cups. Too large. The defroster vent takes up about 1/3 the space with little to no depth available to mount. Im thinking gonna have to get tweeters without angle swivel mounting and a smaller cup size... I got some grey panels to mock up some sort of decent temporary setup. Also found two contours in tge yard today with mnb interior! Score. So i got a replacement sail. 2 grey sails and 2 other panels plus all the small caps for $10.

Back