• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car radio on but no sound intermittently

witchhunter420

New CEG'er
Hi guys got a question for you. I have had my 99 contour for about 6 years and have had no problems with the radio untill recently.
I had a pioneer radio that i put in my self when i got the car and has alway worked .I installed it with a store bought wiring harness so everything was neat and clean no spliced wires ect. so now everything comes on and looks as if its ok the unit lights up,buttons work Cd works.ect ,but no sound and then you might get in and it all works .So i thought maybe it was a short got new wiring harness from the store.When that didn't fix it i thought it was my radio went and got me a new one.It work just fine for a day. it is doing the same thing.What could this be? other then no sound there is nothing odd going on.any help would be grateful. Thanks Jill

ALso when the speakers stop working i can hear low sound from my Subs but they don't sound the same as when all is working

do you have an external amp from the head unit that may have failed or maybe the head unit itself has failed:shrug:

well i have an amp that is hooked up to my subs but not the door speakers as for failed head i thought that is what had happened but i bought a brand new one doing same thing

Check all the wiring starting with the battery back to the amps, including the rca cables. Does this car have premium sound? If the subs are producing sound but not the rest of the speakers, there could be a crossover setting that was messed with. How many rca plugs does your headunit have?

Might want to polish up on your grammar and punctuation skills to make it easier for us to read and maybe illicit a few more responses.

Hello all,
I just wanted to update this post so that if anyone else has this problem maybe it could help.
The problem was due to a short in one of my back speakers.
I'm guessing the previous owner had changed out all the speakers and when they put the new ones in they didn't
mount them right so it had fallen out of its whole and was hitting the metal in the door.

Back