• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone do SPL competitions?

steelblueSE

Hard-core CEG'er
Does anyone take their Contique to SPL competitions? I know a few on here have done SQ oriented builds but I haven't really seen a purely SPL build on here. My new goal is to hit 150+db. Yea yea, its still a trunk car which has its share of acoustic limitations, but if I can stick to my new plan, will I be the first here to have a Contour over 150?

I haven't heard anyone say or talk about SPL in a very long time in any car. I used to compete in the 90's but then car stereo was in it's prime. Now car's come with such nice system's (and are harder to work on) that people see no reason to upgrade. On a side note I had a 91 ranger (standard cab) with 4 jl audio 10w6's that hit 146.7 in 1997. I only had 1 amp on the subs which was a soundstream ref1000s. I also had a ref500s, 2 caps, streetwires 140 amp alternator, mb quart comp. 6.5, and alpine headunit. But anyway good luck with hitting 150. Let me know how it turns out.

my work is having one this week (spl), I only have a 10" right now but I am probably going to build myself a dual 12 box and go with some JL 12w0 cheapies. If I do it in time I'll let you know what my car gets, keeping in mind nothing was built for spl, but would give you a baseline of what to expect.

btw: your dad didn't call into the Jason Ellis show did he? Some caller tried selling him an old car he was restoring and had put a Viper engine in, I instantly thought of you guys.

150+? what class are you going to compete in?
I used to compete in the stock 0-600 class, best I ever did was 143.6db, or 146.3db, I can't remember which way the last 2 numbers were. Either way that was about 8 years ago and on a college student budget with a system geared toward SQ. Tech has improved and gotten quite a bit cheaper since I put up that score.

What frequency were you guys all hitting your scores at? I want my peak to occur in the low 40s and not the typical low 50s most people put up. I'm still researching as far as class. It won't be right away. The car will need an alt and electrical upgrades to sustain the 3k + rms I plan on running :)

The cabin and location of the woofers will determine the optimum frequency where you should try to maximize output. I wouldn't make a goal up for the frequency until you have some time to do some measurements and see where your peak should be. 150dB should be moderately easy to achieve.

What frequency were you guys all hitting your scores at? I want my peak to occur in the low 40s and not the typical low 50s most people put up. I'm still researching as far as class. It won't be right away. The car will need an alt and electrical upgrades to sustain the 3k + rms I plan on running :)
47hz, but again, everything was designed for SQ.

47hz, but again, everything was designed for SQ.

Thats pretty decent. I just hate how most of these super loud comp setups are peaking in 50-60. To me thats still midbass :p

The cabin and location of the woofers will determine the optimum frequency where you should try to maximize output. I wouldn't make a goal up for the frequency until you have some time to do some measurements and see where your peak should be. .

Yea thats kinda why I was asking who here messes with SPL, was hoping to pick their brain about the setup if it was in a contour.

Back