• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

6X9 Speaker Fit Question???

ukfan50

CEG'er
Below is a set of 4-way 6X9's (below are the specs & depth) I had lying around for a few years. The drivers door speaker just stopped working on my car (it's an aftermarket Pioneer as well) installed by the PO. I wanted to know if these would fit in my front doors? if anyone has ANY info or experience, your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jason

"The Fab Four" revolutionized popular music, and now Pioneer revolutionizes your sound system with four fabulous drivers in the TS-A6985. Indeed, just one earful from this 4-way and you'll be singing "I Feel Fine."
This 6"x 9" gives you unsurpassed depth and detail from your rear deck openings. The foamed IMPP woofer provides strong, tight lows, while you'll rejoice in great mids from the pearl polycarbon midrange. Add crisp highs from the dome tweeter and supertweeter, and you're awash in superior sound from the entire audio spectrum. And with one of the highest sensitivity ratings in its class, this speaker will play it just the way you want — loud and clear.
Details:
  • foamed IMPP (Injection Molded Polypropylene) woofer with ferrite magnet
  • 7/8" PET (silver film) dome tweeter
  • 2-3/8" pearl polycarbon balanced dome midrange
  • 3/4" PET dome supertweeter
  • sensitivity 93 dB
  • frequency response 25-30,000 Hz
  • recommended power range 2-60 watts RMS
  • peak power handling 260 watts
  • top-mount depth 3-3/8"

what you want is the TS-A6882R Thats a Pioneer 6X8. Direct fit for ford.

I fit a set of 6x9's no problem in my 95. It just depends the mounting depth of the speaker....and drilling a couple new holes for the mounting screws. If the depth is too deep, turn around the mounting grill and it should give you enough depth then.

Most 6x9 speakers will fit with little modification. You may need to space the speaker out a little from the door frame to clear the cone (so the cone does't contact the door frame). You may need to open the door frame speaker hole a little.

The biggest issue can be if the speaker has a huge magnet so it gets in the way of the window mechanism.

The only way to tell for sure how much effort it will take is to pull the door panel and speaker and see how the replacement fits.

what you want is the TS-A6882R Thats a Pioneer 6X8. Direct fit for ford.

I already have these 6X9's sitting in my closet. So I'd like to not have to buy new speakers. The depth of the 6X9's I have is 3 3/8". When it comes to car audio I'm clueless so any help would be great! Once I find out if they'll fit, I'll have them installed, not doing it myself.

I already have these 6X9's sitting in my closet. So I'd like to not have to buy new speakers. The depth of the 6X9's I have is 3 3/8". When it comes to car audio I'm clueless so any help would be great! Once I find out if they'll fit, I'll have them installed, not doing it myself.

It is VERY easy to do it your self. A few screws and the door panel comes off and that is about it. (three are hidden.....two under the door handle and one under the defrost vent)

It is VERY easy to do it your self. A few screws and the door panel comes off and that is about it. (three are hidden.....two under the door handle and one under the defrost vent)

I have a buddy that'll do it for free & is always been into car audio so I'll watch & learn for next time.

My fear of doing it myself was removing the door panel (scared of breaking the door panel tabs). I just bought the car a month ago so I'm a newb but your saying the door panel does not have the tabs? It's just held on by screws? I was worried since I do not have that door panel tool I would break some tabs on trying to remove the door panel but if it's just held on by screws & not the tabs I can do it myself & not have to wait for my buddy to have time to do it. Thanks!!!

I have a buddy that'll do it for free & is always been into car audio so I'll watch & learn for next time.

My fear of doing it myself was removing the door panel (scared of breaking the door panel tabs). I just bought the car a month ago so I'm a newb but your saying the door panel does not have the tabs? It's just held on by screws? I was worried since I do not have that door panel tool I would break some tabs on trying to remove the door panel but if it's just held on by screws & not the tabs I can do it myself & not have to wait for my buddy to have time to do it. Thanks!!!

The door panel is held down by 2 screws in the bottom. 2 on the outside(the part that slams to the car frame) and you must remove the plastic cap to reveal 2 screw on the door pull in the front door and remove the door pull and reveal 1 screw on the rear doors, and there's 2 smaller screws on the inner side of the doors (the hinge side) and finally theres another screw under a little circular cap both on the open door lever and by the speaker on the front doors and just the cap by the open door lever on the rear doors.

hope this helps:cool:

If soundQSVT can fit 8" woofers in the doors... then you can fit 6x9's.... Just will take some fab work...

Back