• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

System problem

Mywhip

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, yesterday my audio portion of my car started to make a weird noise. It sounded like it had a technology interference going on (You know, like when two walkie talkies are close together, they make a weird noise) just like that. I have nothing in my car out of the ordinary, so i immediately started to disconnect stuff. I disconnect my back two speakers, nothing. I hit the emergency shut off switch for my subs, and it stops. So it has to be that.

Now the question is, why is it doing it? Is it the amp? Subs? what?! lol.

Thanks for any/all help.

How are the wires routed? Do power and source go down the same side of the car or opposite sides of the car?

Power cable is down driver side, along with the shut off switch cord. Then the rca cables are on the opposite side.

I would say to double check the grounds, they could have worked their way loose a bit, enough to cause some noise, esp. if this has just started when it worked ok before.

Where ever you put them. I'm praying you grounded your amplifier for your subs properly.

Where ever you put them. I'm praying you grounded your amplifier for your subs properly.

I did put it in correctly, it only started to do it. I turned my subs around a couple of months ago to where they are facing the cab of the car now, so ill check where i placed the ground again..which is at the middle bar on the back seat. The damn screw probably fell loose again.

I don't know when ill pull it out..it hasn't done it today yet. It doesn't do it all the time, which makes it annoying haha. Ill have to pull my seats out sometime.

Where does the ground from the amp ground out on the car? That is most likely your culprit.

Where does the ground from the amp ground out on the car? That is most likely your culprit.
The metal piece on the backseat..that runs down the whole seat.

I checked where it meets it, and its as snug as a bug in a rug. Ill do more tomorrow i think..probably when i get off work if i can see.

I did put it in correctly, it only started to do it. I turned my subs around a couple of months ago to where they are facing the cab of the car now, so ill check where i placed the ground again..which is at the middle bar on the back seat. The damn screw probably fell loose again.

and turn your subs back to facing the back of the car if your interested in maintaining a higher dB level.

The metal piece on the backseat..that runs down the whole seat.

I checked where it meets it, and its as snug as a bug in a rug. Ill do more tomorrow i think..probably when i get off work if i can see.

Make sure paint is scratched if it isn't bare metal. I'm not 100% sure about the location you are talking about. Check on the amp and make sure everything is nice and tightly screwed down and also make sure your power and rca cables aren't in anyway touching as they near the box.

Have you checked your connections at the head unit? I had this problem and redid my ground and it would still give me the feed back. It ended up being my sub pre-outs on the headunit. I switched the RCA's to the rear pre-out and the feedback went away.

I was messing around with the wires today on the amp, and the only one that was loose was the power cord that ran from the capacitor to the amp.

New question.

If i wanted to add two more amps somewhere along the line, would i have to run all new power lines? I saw a post a while back about someone who had the kickpanels fitted with speakers, and an amp attached to them. What would i have to do for the wiring?

Back