• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Distribution Box

Y2KSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
So the 'LS guys are of very little help. I'm trying to install an HID kit, but since this has more to do with electrical, I thought I'd ask here. I bought a plug & play kit that evidently isn't getting enough start-up wattage to fire the HIDs. They flicker for about 20 seconds and then go out. So I bought a relay harness, and now I've got to try and install it. The thing with the LS is, the battery is in the trunk. There is a power distribution box under the hood, but I can't see how I would tap into it without splicing wires. Pictured below, you'll see the type of connector(on the right side in red) that I'm talking about. Do I need to cut this off and hard wire it into a wire coming off the distribution box? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Mark

yhst-15912447027353_2040_7707654

There has to be a bolt somewhere in the box where the cable from the alternator connects and probably another where the wire runs back to the battery. Is there a positive clamp for a jumper cable anywhere?

I just unbolted the entire distribution box and there's no such bolt, positive clamp, or anything that really looks like a positive cable. The box sits on top of the wheel arch, and a 1-1/2" thick bundle of wires come up into the box from underneath, which is protected by some sheathing.

Here's a picture of an engine bay I snagged off of LvC. It's the furthest box on the left in red. This is NOT my engine bay! :laugh:

attachment.php

Mark

I'm glad thats not your engine bay but I'll still make fun of how bad that color looks AND how he's running a breather filter and probably unknowingly leaning the fuel mixture out. So where is the jump start terminal in that engine bay?

You could always get one of the fake fuse cables that go into a fuse slot and give you a cable outlet to crimp onto. I've never liked them but people use them all the time.

lol never heard of them. This weekend I'm going to crawl under the car and see if the alternator is an option.

EDIT: I received a response on the LS boards. I guess this bolt that I looked at on the side of the box that the lid covers nice and tight, is the bolt I was looking for. I just didn't think it was it with how tight the lid comes down over it. Here's a pic where you can see this guy ran his positive wire up to the botl and closed the lid over it.

DSC_0105.JPG

Mark

Well, the wire that runs to the front is fused in the trunk.. and more than likely you will not want to add more to draw to that...

There is a Red from the battery which goes to a junction it looks like, it's labeled "Stud Dash Panel" which then goes to the starter motor then goes to the generator.... which apparently doesn't need a fuse....

Personally I'd recommend running like a 10awg fused wire from the trunk to the front for your HID's.... put a distribution block up front and run your wires for your HID's up there... then just do chasis grounding... That way your not trying to draw off another circuit in your car.....

Like I've stated in previous posts.... I'd recommend running HID's power to the battery and using the factory headlight wires as turn-ons for the relays.... IMHO that's the way to go...

If you really want to go under the hood though... it looks like the main power comes in on a Red/Blue wire from the mega fuse in the trunk... which runs to "Auxillary Junction Box (Right Side Of Engine Compartment)"

Everything is installed and working perfectly! :cool: It was a little time consuming as I wanted all of the wires nicely hidden, as well as the ballasts. Now I just need to wait until night time to see how well they work.

Mark

Everything is installed and working perfectly! :cool: It was a little time consuming as I wanted all of the wires nicely hidden, as well as the ballasts. Now I just need to wait until night time to see how well they work.

Mark

No shame in doing a sexy install...

Wow, what a difference these lights make! The stock lighting on the LS is actually pretty good, but the HID's really liven up the night time driving experience!

Mark

Back