• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why...

have a decent pioneer head unit that im very please with, DEH-6900UB :shrug:. i bought it when i first came out. Its now 2 years old.

A lot of people don't want to bother with the hassle of installing a component speaker system as well. You either need to buy or custom make brackets. A 6x9 speaker IS cheaper than a component set up and sound a lot better than most 6x8's.

My first "system" I ever installed had MB Quart components, my favorite speakers I've ever had.

That being said, not many people are comfy taking a saw to their doors to fit speakers in. :laugh:

true. most people are scared to cut a bunch of holes to make something fit nice.

And compared to a 6x9, i think a 6 inch speaker sounds better. though lighter on bass, so a sub is a must.

and i'm not saying pioneer is horrible or anything, just not great. it's good enough for plenty. but listen to a well tuned system made up of great components, and then go listen to your pioneer again. You'll find it's just not the same.

I have four pioneer TS-A831Ps a pioneer DEH-P310UB and I figure I got a couple of old pioneer amps a GM-X324 and a GM-X374, so I might wire those in to drive the speakers. Maybe someday I will get an amp and sub, but they will probably be pioneers too. Pioneers sound good enough to me :shrug: but then again I rip all my CDs and burn them as MP3s or WMAs so I guess that I dont really care about super high sound quality. Honestly I can barely tell the difference between an MP3 and a regular CD. I can get in peoples cars with expensive eclipse systems and the nice expensive speakers and such and I wouldnt know if they dont tell me (yeah I know when there is a sub). So I dont understand why its so important to have a system that costs 5 times as much.

Maybe its just me, but if the stereo works good, then who cares? Honestly I think most people buy the expensive systems just so they can say how expensive their system is. Although I have a jensen DVD player so I know that brand is crap, and I dont know why people would use DUAL because that is just WAY to many BRIGHT lights in your car.

Guess they need to be that bright to warn other motorists to avoid hitting your car since you cant see out your window from all the lights so you wont be able to see them to stop.

Toast,I feel your concern since this is an area that is dear to you. Just as my home theater is too me. I don't spend much time in my ride as I did in my younger days, so budget is high on the list along with best bang for the buck. I don't think you would get much argument on which is a better setup. besides SoundQ and yourself and few others I think many on here just looking to get a little boom for our dollar.

But its good to know that you are another person that we can contact for advice if we are interest in going in that direction.:cool:

I guess it's comparable to buying a taurus or a comparable bmw(I'm not good with bmw letter designations). they both do the same thing. and most people would be happy with the taurus. and thats fine. but if you had the money, you would have bought the bmw, right?

true. most people are scared to cut a bunch of holes to make something fit nice.

And compared to a 6x9, i think a 6 inch speaker sounds better. though lighter on bass, so a sub is a must.

and i'm not saying pioneer is horrible or anything, just not great. it's good enough for plenty. but listen to a well tuned system made up of great components, and then go listen to your pioneer again. You'll find it's just not the same.

of course a 6 inch speaker is going to sound better than a 6x9 (in most cases), it is just physics. I know sometime in the summer, I am going to be putting components into my car with tweeters.....I am not afraid to cut stuff. :laugh:

Toast,I feel your concern since this is an area that is dear to you. Just as my home theater is too me. I don't spend much time in my ride as I did in my younger days, so budget is high on the list along with best bang for the buck. I don't think you would get much argument on which is a better setup. besides SoundQ and yourself and few others I think many on here just looking to get a little boom for our dollar.

But its good to know that you are another person that we can contact for advice if we are interest in going in that direction.:cool:

well cool. thanks for the compliment.

speaking of home audio, have you heard JL's new home sub? the fathom and the gotham? sound quality is so amazing! uncomparable to anything i've ever heard! but $4000 for one 13 inch sub kinda puts a damper on getting one...

of course a 6 inch speaker is going to sound better than a 6x9 (in most cases), it is just physics. I know sometime in the summer, I am going to be putting components into my car with tweeters.....I am not afraid to cut stuff. :laugh:

sweet. cant wait to see it done. always neat to see what people can do when they do a little extra and cut something.

well cool. thanks for the compliment.

speaking of home audio, have you heard JL's new home sub? the fathom and the gotham? sound quality is so amazing! uncomparable to anything i've ever heard! but $4000 for one 13 inch sub kinda puts a damper on getting one...

Nope, haven't been down to my local high end store in a few months to :drool: latley.

I guess it's comparable to buying a taurus or a comparable bmw(I'm not good with bmw letter designations). they both do the same thing. and most people would be happy with the taurus. and thats fine. but if you had the money, you would have bought the bmw, right?

I coulda bought a BMW a while back, and they handle much better than a taurus :crazy: I bought a contour instead... The BMW was a bunch older

No but I do get what you mean. But really I can barely tell the difference. I mean I can hear the difference between components and oval speakers at higher volumes a little bit, but yeah idk. Most people are happy with stock stereos so I guess you really gotta love your system and really know your stuff to pick up those nuances. Kudos to you if you really can see the difference, and dont get me wrong I am not knocking you, I only know the basics for stereos, other than that I am a newb. If I didnt know anything about electronics I wouldnt be able to do a dang thing.

Hey as long as I got an audiophile listening in on this thread, lemme ask a question. The pioneer speakers are 40 amps RMS, 240 peak, the amps I am using are 400 watts peak, and I am driving the front and rear channels with seperate amps so the amps run at 100w and 70w rms, so I know I dont turn the amps all the way up obviously. anyways, my question is, what gauge of wire do I need to run from the trunk to the speakers? Can I reuse the wiring that is already out to the door, or is it not heavy enough for the 40 amps(with a higher peak) over that distance.

Another thing that puzzles me is why people here put decent stereos in their car and then are too cheap or lazy to install decent soundproofing. Or just as bad, spend big $$$ on a system and then cheap out and buy crap like eDead or fatmat.

Another thing that puzzles me is why people here put decent stereos in their car and then are too cheap or lazy to install decent soundproofing. Or just as bad, spend big $$$ on a system and then cheap out and buy crap like eDead or fatmat.

I never understood the point of it, unless there is rattling going on.

half the time I drive with my windows down.... how would sound deadening help?

I was honestly amazed to see how much sound dampening was in the doors already. This was the first personal car I've taken a panel off and seen anything besides cardboard and a sheet of plastic that was glued around the edges.

I coulda bought a BMW a while back, and they handle much better than a taurus :crazy: I bought a contour instead... The BMW was a bunch older

No but I do get what you mean. But really I can barely tell the difference. I mean I can hear the difference between components and oval speakers at higher volumes a little bit, but yeah idk. Most people are happy with stock stereos so I guess you really gotta love your system and really know your stuff to pick up those nuances. Kudos to you if you really can see the difference, and dont get me wrong I am not knocking you, I only know the basics for stereos, other than that I am a newb. If I didnt know anything about electronics I wouldnt be able to do a dang thing.

Hey as long as I got an audiophile listening in on this thread, lemme ask a question. The pioneer speakers are 40 amps RMS, 240 peak, the amps I am using are 400 watts peak, and I am driving the front and rear channels with seperate amps so the amps run at 100w and 70w rms, so I know I dont turn the amps all the way up obviously. anyways, my question is, what gauge of wire do I need to run from the trunk to the speakers? Can I reuse the wiring that is already out to the door, or is it not heavy enough for the 40 amps(with a higher peak) over that distance.

Don't worry. I ain't knocked.

you probly can use those wires no problem for what you need. rewiring doors like that can be quite a hassle and the benefits of running a heavier wire might not be worth it. but it you got the time, a nice 16 gauge should do nicely.

half the time I drive with my windows down.... how would sound deadening help?

It weird how sound deadening works. It actually converts lost sound energy into a negligible amount of heat energy. It will give a cleaner sound if used properly. even with the windows down.

Back