• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why...

ToasterOven

CEG'er
I'm not trying to start an argument!!!!

But I'm just wondering why people here are still recommending such things as dual and pioneer? Why 6x9 coaxials? Why? Why all this cheap poor sound quality stuff is being prized here? I'm really quite curios. Is it ignorance? Is it blatant disregard or a disability to hear the difference? Calling on any resident experts to answer my question. Again, I am not trying to start an argument or look down on anyone for purchasing or recommending these products, just wondering why these products are still largely accepted.

*Edit* 1100th post! lol. *Edit*

I don't think I have ever seen dual recommended here. pioneer sometimes for cheaper replacments.

got to remember alot of people are now the 2nd and 3rd and so on owners of these cars, and like the tempo, alot of them are younger and don't have the money nor care to buy good quality parts....

I would never recommend Dual on anyone...even Hitler. Second, I wouldn't recommend a lower model Pioneer anything unless they just want a simple upgrade with out spending lots of money. Third, like mentioned before, lots of people on this site can't go out and spend $300 on component speakers, $500 on a headunit, $300 for an amp, and another $50 on wire etc. They have a budget and a lot of the times, pioneer fits their needs. While they don't have the greatest sound in the world, they aren't horrible, and their prices are cheap. Besides, I normally recommend to people to buy a higher end used unit vs a new lower end. Case in point, my Pioneer DEH-p7800MP. Fantastic headunit, great sound output, great display, and a LOT of tuning ability.

I might recommend Dual to Hitler. I mean, c'mon...it's Hitler.

I've got a set of Pioneer speakers in one of my Contours. I bought them specifically because I was trying to replace most everything in the car utilizing old parts I already had, and budget new parts. The 3-way 6x9's are a great bang for the buck. They've got good sound, decent power handling, and pretty respectable bass response. At $60 for a set of speakers, you honestly can't beat them IMO. As for Pioneer HUs, I wouldn't ever buy the cheap cheap ones. At the very least I'd start at the middle of their product line, and go with the Premier line when possible. Their high end units usually have some nice features, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an AVIC Z-series nav unit were I in the market for one.

That being said, my SE has a Clarion Pro Audio HU, and Infinity speakers. Kappas whenever possible.

as mentioned a lot of it is cost.

That's why i don't even bother posting usually in the AV forum because when i say, JL, Alpine, Boston Acoustics, all I get back is, "that's way too much" and "out of my price range"

so for me its because i know any real suggestion is "too expensive"

I think it has to do with the relatively low cost of our cars. I have a really bad system, and it's almost the cost of my car. :(

Agreed. Almost every time I see Pioneer recommended, it's usually followed by "for the money". I've used many types of speakers, MB Quart, Polk, Infinity, Pioneer, MTX, Rockford, etc. What I could afford when I was single isn't quite what I can afford (sneak :laugh: ) now.

Plus, not everyone wants/needs to spend to have audiophile equipment, sad but true.:laugh:

Thank You for the honest replys. and come to think of it, my audio system does cost more then either one of my cars. But even then, i was on a budget. i mean, i bought an Eclipse head unit for the same price as a cheap pioneer unit, because i bought the pioneer one, then found that the eclipse was WAY better as far as sound quality and output goes. All those features and all like bluetooth and USB and iPod compatability means nothing to me. Component speakers are expensive however, and i'm still saving up for a set. Either Canton or Hertz. But 6x9's? why not atleast just a six inch coaxial. A circle speaker has way less distortion then an oval and isn't anymore expensive. As far as subs go, mine are probly more expensive then what i could get at best buy or something, but not by that much. And they sound WAY better and will last far longer. Came with a three year warranty out of the box too. i guess I've been holdin my tongue for quite some time about all this cuz I feel the same way with any other part i put on my car: It costs only but a little more to go first class.

I bought a dual, because its cheap and it has all the things that i was looking for in a cd player. I also got a two year warranty with it. Kenwoods like my previous cd player, are just to damn expensive for me to buy.

I had a full Eclipse set up in my first Cadillac and honestly thought my all Pioneer setup sounded better in my next Mazda but that was probably the annoying 4x10" speakers the Caddy had to use in the back.

4x10? holy distortion batman! thats a horrible speaker size. And i only have the Eclipse deck. I've heard full Eclipse systems, and i like mine better. I have diamond subs and amp. Only the D3 series as well. But bulletproof. it cost more in the beginning, but friends of mine have spent more replacing everything in their continuesly breaking best buy setups. So it saves in the long run to get the good stuff. Although Eclipse quality is falling and i won't ever buy them again, the head unit i got is great and it's lasting, so i'll stick with it.

I would never recommend Dual on anyone...even Hitler. Second, I wouldn't recommend a lower model Pioneer anything unless they just want a simple upgrade with out spending lots of money. Third, like mentioned before, lots of people on this site can't go out and spend $300 on component speakers, $500 on a headunit, $300 for an amp, and another $50 on wire etc. They have a budget and a lot of the times, pioneer fits their needs. While they don't have the greatest sound in the world, they aren't horrible, and their prices are cheap. Besides, I normally recommend to people to buy a higher end used unit vs a new lower end. Case in point, my Pioneer DEH-p7800MP. Fantastic headunit, great sound output, great display, and a LOT of tuning ability.

Word. I bought pioneer because speakers can't make me go faster. :shrug: Some people just want a little better than stock.

Thank You for the honest replys. and come to think of it, my audio system does cost more then either one of my cars. But even then, i was on a budget.

You just answered your own question, budget, preference and priorities. I would rather drive a $3000 car with a $200 audio system than drive a $2800 car with a $400 system. Others will have a different opinion of this and spend accordingly.

This is not an audiophile forum so recommendations for all budget ranges will be made.

and then some people still have the stock Ford systems. Even the Premium sound with amp doesn't even come close to a $200 aftermarket system.

You just answered your own question, budget, preference and priorities. I would rather drive a $3000 car with a $200 audio system than drive a $2800 car with a $400 system.

I guess i did. lol. And i drive a $2000 dollar car with a $2000+ and still going up audio system in it. Sounds crazy stupid when i say it like that. But it's what makes me happy i guess.

On a side note, this thread outta say something about the people who come on CEG. i tried a similar thread on NICO and got flamed for saying much the same thing.

Back