• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help with CB antenna location

Apex

CEG'er
I am having trouble with reception with my CB ( Cobra 19 IVDX or something like that ), and a Little Wil mag mount. I put the antenna on the trunk ( middle of the trunk ), but I'm not getting a lot of reception.

I checked SWR and it is 1.1 at channel 1, 1.6-1.7 at 19, and just over 2 at 40. I am going to cut the antenna down a bit, but I was just wondering, would it make a difference to move it to the middle of the roof. I didn't do that since it would look a bit weird, and read that the middle of the trunk is the next best bet.

I'm not into CB's like I was 10 years ago, but I know a thing or 2. I don't know if you're comparing to the same set-up on a different vehicle or not. The first thing that hits me is your set-up. If you're looking to talk with someone within 3/4 -1 mile, it may be adequate. But that antenna just won't pull much in no matter where you put it. I run a Cobra 29 Classic with a Wilson 5000 and have used this in several vehicles now. It picks up awsome. It'll pull in several miles (clean) from a stock 4 watt radio with a good antenna. My spare/loaner setup is a Cobra 19 with a Wilson 1000. The 19 is a MUCH lesser unit, but it was my first radio and I probably doubled it's usability running the 1000 whip vs. a small $20-30 mag-mount. The length is less desirable, but effective.

:shrug:Is this on a contour? If so, where do you keep the cb?:shrug:

I'm not into CB's like I was 10 years ago, but I know a thing or 2. I don't know if you're comparing to the same set-up on a different vehicle or not. The first thing that hits me is your set-up. If you're looking to talk with someone within 3/4 -1 mile, it may be adequate. But that antenna just won't pull much in no matter where you put it. I run a Cobra 29 Classic with a Wilson 5000 and have used this in several vehicles now. It picks up awsome. It'll pull in several miles (clean) from a stock 4 watt radio with a good antenna. My spare/loaner setup is a Cobra 19 with a Wilson 1000. The 19 is a MUCH lesser unit, but it was my first radio and I probably doubled it's usability running the 1000 whip vs. a small $20-30 mag-mount. The length is less desirable, but effective.

It's my first CB, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Only 1 mile range?

I thought it was more. :( I'm only planning to use it for finding out traffic jams and such ahead. But it makes sense now, if the range is that small. I did pick up a bit here and there, I guess I was out of range. :)

I'm off to check oout a Wilson 5000...:D

@Mywhip : The Cobra 19 is really small , I mounted it vertically on the side of the center console, under the glove box area.

Edit : So I trimmed my antenna, SWR is below 2.0 at all channels, channel 19 is at around 1.2 right now.

If I get the Wilson 5000, does the location matter much?

It's my first CB, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Only 1 mile range?

As you noted, you did pick stuff up, but for crisp listening that's about it. If you run the squelch all the way down, you'll pick up a lot...including 99% static and unwanted noise.

Remember too, I used a 4 watt radio for reference. Most trucks run 10 watts and up, and some are even legal...:laugh:. What I have is available at any good CB shop (often located in truck stops) and can hit clearly on flat land at 8-10 miles. It's not ummmm...quite stock. If you want to know any more than that you need to talk to a CB shop and read up on the laws governing radio use.

I'm off to check oout a Wilson 5000...:D

If I get the Wilson 5000, does the location matter much?
I bought my 5000 since the last time I ran a CB on a car. The 1000 did just as well for me on the trunk lid of my '96 Buick Regal as the roof of my truck (for my purposes, which are similar to yours). The 1000 is definitely enough for your needs and would save you a little money. The 5000 rocks because it threads onto the mag base. I run with my base on all the time. When I want to run the radio, I screw the whip on. It's nice because the whip is so long, but also for theft issues. You can cut a good antenna off at the base and replace the cable for CHEAP! So good mag-mounts are easy game to those sorts.

I didn't think to ask...one of the most common problems for new people to radios is not understanding the squelch...did you turn it all the way down to see what you pick up? You want to adjust that now and then. Out in the sticks you can run it all the way down, but the closer to cities (congestion) you get, the more you'll want to turn it up. It's an adjustable level of what you actually hear vs. what's on that freq. If you want to hear what's within say 1/4-1/2 mile from you but don't want the fuzzy signal from 1 mile or more, you listen to somebody loud and clear while turning that knob up until the background crap fades away. If you want it all, that's what you get...ALL of it.

I should also mention, it seems CB use is down considerably in the last years. More drivers every year would rather talk on their phones and other devices. Much less traffic info than I remember years ago.

As you noted, you did pick stuff up, but for crisp listening that's about it. If you run the squelch all the way down, you'll pick up a lot...including 99% static and unwanted noise.

Remember too, I used a 4 watt radio for reference. Most trucks run 10 watts and up, and some are even legal...:laugh:. What I have is available at any good CB shop (often located in truck stops) and can hit clearly on flat land at 8-10 miles. It's not ummmm...quite stock. If you want to know any more than that you need to talk to a CB shop and read up on the laws governing radio use.

I bought my 5000 since the last time I ran a CB on a car. The 1000 did just as well for me on the trunk lid of my '96 Buick Regal as the roof of my truck (for my purposes, which are similar to yours). The 1000 is definitely enough for your needs and would save you a little money. The 5000 rocks because it threads onto the mag base. I run with my base on all the time. When I want to run the radio, I screw the whip on. It's nice because the whip is so long, but also for theft issues. You can cut a good antenna off at the base and replace the cable for CHEAP! So good mag-mounts are easy game to those sorts.

I didn't think to ask...one of the most common problems for new people to radios is not understanding the squelch...did you turn it all the way down to see what you pick up? You want to adjust that now and then. Out in the sticks you can run it all the way down, but the closer to cities (congestion) you get, the more you'll want to turn it up. It's an adjustable level of what you actually hear vs. what's on that freq. If you want to hear what's within say 1/4-1/2 mile from you but don't want the fuzzy signal from 1 mile or more, you listen to somebody loud and clear while turning that knob up until the background crap fades away. If you want it all, that's what you get...ALL of it.

I should also mention, it seems CB use is down considerably in the last years. More drivers every year would rather talk on their phones and other devices. Much less traffic info than I remember years ago.

I turned squelch down until I got constant static, then slowly turned it up to the point where the static went away. I think I need a better antenna before I do anything else.

Thanks for your help, looks like I'll be getting a 1000 or a 5000... :)

PICT0036.jpg

That is where mine is at for now. Cobra 19

Back