• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Subwoofer time

contourgl95

CEG'er
Just wondering if anyone has any input on where is the best location to run the 12V power cable to the amp for my subs. From your previous experience what is the easiest and less time consuming? feel free to write your experience on this as i would like to have my system up and running by atleast tuesday. thanks guys!:laugh:

if its an atx right thru the firewall grommet above brake pedel, down the side of the door jams and up thru the backseat. very easy and plenty of room for bigger (1/0) size wire. it should only take 20-30 minutes.

840a0494jf7.jpg

i found a spot i believe it was a boot for the steering, cant exactly remember now, but that was the best bet for me

If your looking at the engine bay. Walk over to the air box/filter and look over the strut tower, you should see the grommet on the firewall.

Theres also another place underneath the windshield wiper cowl, but with an ATX, the grommet in the firewall is the easiest place to feed the wiring.

oh ok thanks guys i'll check it out.
BTW for the cowl can you take a picture of how you ran your wire please the easiest way to do this would be the best as i live in -21 days here in alberta.
Thanks guys.

The picture is leaning over the driver's side fender to the left of the strut tower, about middle of the steering wheel. The car is atx and has no abs.

Thanks man it makes alot more sense now.
I'm gonna try and run it through there. should i just pop off the grommet and run it through or is it going to be a lil tricky?

Grommets can be tricky in conditions like yours. Personally, I prefer to remove one, drill it to the proper size and reinstall it before running a wire. Because of the cold, you're going to have one heck of a time getting it back in. It needs to flex for install.

I don't know that grommet very well, I've got a MTX and ABS. Check it out from both sides and use your imagination. If you can't drill it, but have ok access, a good utility knife (with fresh razor blade) usually does the job. A good X cut, say 1/2" (or 12-13mm for you Canadian folk) each way, usually works well for wire feeds.

I hope you didn't mean should you pop the grommet off and leave it off? That's a solid NO.

its easy to remove if you wish . But When I did my install I just cut a small hole in it (just slighty smaller then the wire) then pushed the wire through. It made nice seal from the engine bay.

atx or mtx, best place should be thru the rubber gromet into the cowl, and after your in the cowl there is a piece of tar covering a hole which goes into the car... should be right above the steering column IIRC...

Back