• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replaced battery, now radio doesn't work

Paul99SE

CEG'er
Yesterday I replaced a dead battery in the Contour. Everything started up fine but now the radio is not working. It will not turn on and there is no clock display. Could this be a blown fuse? Is the radio fuse located under the dash or under the hood?

Ok thanks I'll check fuse #32.

Also the interior lights do not work when the door is opened. That would be fuse #34 correct?

Also is there a fuse/relay for cruise control? That has not worked for some time now.

34 says Interior Lighting so that might solve your problem. As far as Cruise I dont see the relay listed but there must be one somewhere.

Ok thanks I'll check fuse #32.

Also the interior lights do not work when the door is opened. That would be fuse #34 correct?

Also is there a fuse/relay for cruise control? That has not worked for some time now.

34 says Interior Lighting so that might solve your problem. As far as Cruise I dont see the relay listed but there must be one somewhere.

Both are correct, Fuse 34 is constant power for the radio, Fuse 32 is the turn on for the radio, and if you have the amplifier, fuse 25 is for the factory amplifier. Factory amplifier circuit does not play into the headunit turn on though, it just receives audio from it. Make sure you pull both fuses to check them. If they are good, time to check things out more indepth with a multimeter...

Got the radio working again, it was a bad fuse. The interior lights were just bad bulbs. Still not sure on the cruise control though, will have to look into that some more.

Got the radio working again, it was a bad fuse. The interior lights were just bad bulbs. Still not sure on the cruise control though, will have to look into that some more.

What exactly is going on with it, and a description of what happened leading up to it's failure would be helpful.

Do you mean the cruise control? Well I'm not quite sure when it went out but none of the controls work. The cruise control buttons are on the steering wheel and nothing happens when I press them. It could be a clockspring I suppose, but first I'm going to make sure that all the cruise control connections under the hood are good.

The horn intermittently works from both the steering wheel and the keyless entry remote.

Well I replaced the horn today and it is working just fine now. But it didn't have any effect on the cruise control.

Check to make sure the cable for the Cruise control is still attached to the throttle body on under the hood, my buddies cruise stopped working one time on his cougar, and it was as simple as a cable becoming disconnected under the hood. Start there I'd guess... can check the cruise circuit next...

I checked the cable yesterday and it is attached to the throttle body. However should the cable be tight or should there be some play in it? Cause there was some play in mine.

I checked the cable yesterday and it is attached to the throttle body. However should the cable be tight or should there be some play in it? Cause there was some play in mine.

Not sure... I could look at mine tomorrow if I remember...

Back