• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whats wrong with my Car?

lunatic

CEG'er
Hello

about a few months ago, the lights on the gear shifter stopped working. These are the lights for the P-N-D-2-1 positions. When driving at night, the gear shifter is completely black.

Now, just this morning, I started my car up and the radio doesn't work! Is this something as simple as some fuses needing replacement? If so, what fuses are they that I need to change.

thanks

It is very unlikely that the 2 are related, due to the length of time between failures.

1st. Are there any other items not working inside the car, if the fuse blew there are other items running on the same fuse(how ever I cant remember off the top of my head what.), look to see if your dome light is working, cigarette lighter, anything else that may be tied into that fuse.
2nd. If this is an after market head unit some, have an inline fuse that you could check.

Heck its not hard to pull the use out, nothing beats just pulling it out and checking it.

The light for your gear position is likely just burnt out. If it was anything else, you would have all your dash lights out. I am sure there is a writeup somewhere on this site for changing bulbs inside your car.

Your radio is probably just a bad fuse. It is fuse #32. it will be the 4th from the left on the bottom row and it will be either a 7.5 amp or 10 amp fuse in there. This is on your panel inside your car. You will find it below and to the left side of your steering column underneath the dash. There is a small button on the right side of it. If you press that button the fuse panel drops down.

sorry not to be rude or anything but

Attachments

• av-1820.gif
    av-1820.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 0
hahaha to the above post. I don't really care for the shifter lights, but it looks wierd without them. As for the car fuses, I checked all of them and they are all good. The dome lights and cigarette lighter is working. I'm gonna pull the radio itself. Maybe the radio (Kenwood) has a bad fuse in it? Can this happen? It is a 4 year old radio.

thanks

Back