• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

head unit connection

am i going to need a special adapter to go from the factory wiring to my aftermarket head unit (Alpine CDA-7490)

if you ever want to re-install the factory radio, yes. if you don't you will need to cut the connector off the harness and connect the radio harness.

iirc wal-mart has the non-premium sound radio install harness kits. You connect the aftermarket radio harness to the connectors and then it will plug into the factory harness.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you dont have a factory amp. You can follow the how-to here..
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=18248
Drop the glove box and see if the dreaded factory amp is behind it, if so, you'll have to bypass it.
DSC00051.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

i tried to pull my glovebox down but it doesn't have the tabs on it. i peeked through the crack at the top and did not see an amp back there. is it possible that i don't have a factory amp? i have a 1995 GL

Your glovebox has tabs trust me but its also possible that you dont have a factory amp. If you didnt see a silver box than you're really in luck and the install will be easier than normal.

Is there a hard plastic liner in the glovebox? one that has to come out to reveal the tabs? if not then mine doesn't have the tabs.

the pre98s dont have the tabs like the 98+. however if you just squeeze both sides together it will allow the stops past and lower the glove box.

odds are you dont have the factory amp since you have a 95 GL

Reading over the how-to about the factory harness...

Wouldn't you want to get access to the input to the factory amp to bypass it rather than the out put? If you take the plug from the output and disconnect from the source, it would no longer be active. Then connecting your wires to a non active set of wires is useless.

Unless it some how transfers back somehow. I'll pull the schematic (sp?). But any input would be great to clarify.

Thats exactly what you're doing by unplugging it and splicing your harness in to bypass the amp completely. Unless I read your comment wrong thats what I think you're asking.

Reading over the how-to about the factory harness...

Wouldn't you want to get access to the input to the factory amp to bypass it rather than the out put? If you take the plug from the output and disconnect from the source, it would no longer be active. Then connecting your wires to a non active set of wires is useless.

Unless it some how transfers back somehow. I'll pull the schematic (sp?). But any input would be great to clarify.

I read this 3 times and am still confused... Are you talking about the how-to I made? If you have a factory amplifier that your bypassing with an amplified signal from your new aftermarket radio, you want to connect to the amps output connector, not the input. The output is the connector that runs to your speakers. if you connect to the input, your just making a loop back up to the factory radio connector.

If you have the separate amp, hacking in to the factory speaker wiring is easy. The soldering, etc, might add 30 or 45 minutes to the job, but this is not a "dreaded" difficult task. PM me if you need the wiring schematics.

Back