• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dumb HU Question

ThNdFrSpd

CEG'er
When I bought my car it had an aftermarket Kenwood stereo already installed.

The problem is I have no idea how to take i out.:shrug: When I search online for head unit removal all i get is how to remove the factory HU.:help:

Kenwood KDC-MP8017 (HU)

Check the glovebox. If the previous owner was nice they left the removal keys in there for you. If not maybe they were lazy and didnt lock the stereo in there and it will just wiggle out if you try slip a finger through one of the holes in the plastic underneath it.

yeah I'm in the same boat with you.... no keys and the power antenna does not work hmmm lovely.... I was thinking about just removing the whole piece of plastic that surrounds the radio and HVAC controls well maybe when I get ambitious......

I had to do that when I installed my cd player. Not a horrible job but I was scared I was gonna break something.

Well... since the Ford factory HUs have a special way of mounting, they probly took the metal cage and secured it to just the plastic trim.

So yeah, take that plastic trim off and you should be able to wiggle it all out as one piece.

Check the glovebox. If the previous owner was nice they left the removal keys in there for you. If not maybe they were lazy and didnt lock the stereo in there and it will just wiggle out if you try slip a finger through one of the holes in the plastic underneath it.

Their was a small key inside and I didn't know its purpose so I threw it in the glovebox. Is this probably a key for the HU, if so where do you put it in.

Just looked on crutchfield, no removal tools. Sorry, looks like you might be pulling the area and the HU

Why not instead of looking for all the keys and :censored::censored::censored::censored:, just removed the plastic trim around the stereo&hvac controls? It will be a bit more work, but you wont have to keep looking for the tool..and it goes by alot faster.

1. Remove faceplate
2. Remove trim
3. Locate these -------->
cd%20player%20keys%20-%20kenwood.jpg

4. Insert these on each side of the radio and slide them in as far as they go...
5. Those push the tabs that hold the radio in place... out... so you can slide the radio out of the cavity..
6. Should just be able to pull the radio keys back out the way you slid them in and the radio should come as well, sometimes you have to use a pic tool or pliers to get some pull started.... should come out easy... on the contours you can stick your finger up the bottom and use that to push on the radio as well if you're having trouble..

If dont have these tools and cannot find them, you can also make a set using a thin wire coat hanger. cut two strips about 7" or 8" and make a hook on each end, use the above method for getting the HU out. can be a little harsh getting them in, but it but has worked for me several times.

Back