• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

More bang for the buck

Mywhip

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a 600 watt amp, along with two 600 watt subs. I can hear the bass in my car..but it sounds..pathetic to say the least. I have it in a box and all that, but how can i get more bang for my buck? Someone said a bigger box..but how does that work?

Help!!

(Sorry for all the audio threads...just looking for the best solutions ha)

Also, would anyone be willing to show me there system set up? Mine is just in a box..ha. What would be the best way to run it?

I think we could use a little more information

Such as Amp rating and Sub rating, perhaps brand and model so we can go look at specs our selves.

For example is the Amp 600 rms or 600 max

I believe the amp is 600 max.

The subs are db drive..and the amp is scosche. The sound of it is amazing if i have the trunk open. Just having problems with it on the outside of the car and want more of it on the inside.

I will try to find some pics..i bought it used so not sure on everything.

The subs are 10"

well after searching google I went to look for your sub and amp, or a close item. Im guessing these are your subs - http://www.dbdrive.net/dbsubs_db10S4.htm

guessing this is your amp - http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=scosche+amps&cid=14307150839804052671#ps-tech-specs

If these are correct another question I have are you running your amp. Are your runing your amp 1 per channel, bridged in Parallel(bad idea for this set up), or bridged in series.

Also do you know if your seperating out the low frequecies from the high?

Wrong on both of those..they are older models.

It was professionally installed..tuned, etc etc. So whatever he did to it is what is on there ha.

I am going to build a bigger box for it tomorrow..i hear that helps out alot? Also going to run new speakers to my rear deck.

a bigger enclosure will only make it better if the current enclosure is too small. If the current enclosure is too big, using a larger enclosure will make it worse, not better. As the saying goes, to know where you are going you must first know where you have been.

what are the dimensions of your current enclosure?
Is it a sealed enclosure or ported? If ported, what size/shape/length are the ports?
Do you have the t/s specs for your driver from a manual or something?

all these pieces to the puzzle are necessary before it can be determined if the size or style of enclosure are contributing to the poor performance you seek to fix.

The enclosure is pretty small..i would say altogether, the box has less than a foot in width. The box is not ported either.

Sorry, i cannot get any of the specs because i can't find them online..and i bought them used.

The enclosure is pretty small..i would say altogether, the box has less than a foot in width. The box is not ported either.

If the speaker is an air suspension, then it wouldn't need (or want) a port as the air in the enclosure acts as the spring to return the speaker cone. Not all speakers work ported. But if the air volume in the box is wrong for that model speaker, it won't produce the frequency that it is supposed to. You really need the design specs or installation parameters, otherwise you're shooting in the dark and may just make it sound worse.

I am going to be removing the rear deck panel tomorrow (hopefully going to find a guide on how to) and i might try to attach them into the holes, and see how it sounds then.

I am going to be removing the rear deck panel tomorrow (hopefully going to find a guide on how to) and i might try to attach them into the holes, and see how it sounds then.

Was? Das ist nicht gut.

If you put the subs free air in the rear deck, it will probly sound like garbage since your trunk is like a HUGE box that isn't sealed all that well and has crappy porting. And if you seal the "ports," you'll cause problems with stuff like the ventilation system.

If you got the idea to put the subs on the rear deck from searching around the forum, you're missing a KEY item they used... a box. They made a correct size box for those small subs so the sound was optimal.

I'd stick with putting speakers in the rear deck, but since they weren't designed to be there in the first place, the sound might not be like you imagined.

Which way is the box facing? It made a world of a difference when we made the subs face the rear of the vehicle in my buddys car.

Back