• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Look at my new Sub/Box Setup!

Nothing's wrong with bandpass; in fact, they generally have deeper, thicker sound and look a lot better IMO. Their downside is that, having two chambers instead of one (like a sealed or ported box), they need to be much larger. That was my mistake in choosing that tiny bandpass; I was looking for some more trunk space, but small bandpasses generally sound horrible unless you get just the right sub with just the right box.

thicker? :shrug: :laugh:

Nothing's wrong with bandpass; in fact, they generally have deeper, thicker sound and look a lot better IMO. Their downside is that, having two chambers instead of one (like a sealed or ported box), they need to be much larger. That was my mistake in choosing that tiny bandpass; I was looking for some more trunk space, but small bandpasses generally sound horrible unless you get just the right sub with just the right box.

Bandpass boxes are popular because TYPICALLY they will get loud with a cheap sub and little power. They are big sellers with high school kids that want to rattle their trunks. That is about it.
They do not get any lower than a well built ported enclosure, and they have a limited bandwidth both on the high and low ends.
They CAN be made to have good LF response and efficiency, but everyone I've ever seen is a prefab with a random sub and sounded awful.

Back