• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2 15" Solo Barics

It really dosn't sound like crap.
It's a complete system. It's just to much bass for the Camera Video to pick up I suppose.
It's got all Componant speakers. And 4 Tweeters. All powered by Amps.
It's not all just Bass. It's loud too.
And as far as being overkill. Thats all in personal opinion.
Loud is what I do.
Some of you do what you do. Exterior Modifing. Interior. Whatever it is yall do.
I do systems. To be LOUD. I don't want you to -Hear- Me 3 blocks away.
I want you to -Feel- me 4 blocks away.
I actually am used to this. And what to go louder.
So like I said being over kill is a opionated comment.
But I enjoy the feed back.

Ever heard an internet video of a sound system that doesn't sound like crap? I'd have to hear it in person. Either way its overkill.
I'm talking IRL.. L7s sound like garbage... anyone who says they don't have NEVER heard a decent sounding sub... Just like when people say Type R's sound good... i laugh

Nothing wrong with loud... i just like to be able to hear the music and not muddy/sloppy bass a L7 produces. I'd never trade in my Audioque HDC315 for louder.

See yet again thats another personal opinion.
I've been into car systems for 10+ years.
I've had my share of subs. I think that if you heard L7s that were properly powered you would have a slightly different Opinion.
Yes many people do get these subs and only push 1,000 Watts to them
Then yes I agree they sound like :censored::censored::censored::censored:.
But if they are properly powered then it's a whole new story.

Nobody is doubting that they can get loud. I just think most people on this forum are more into SQ than SPL and have a much better appreciation for a setup that sounds good rather than just being loud. Anyone can throw 1000 watts to a pair of 15's and make them get loud. Personally, when I hear a well designed SQ system "which is much more difficult to accomplish" I'm much more impressed.

See yet again thats another personal opinion.
I've been into car systems for 10+ years.
I've had my share of subs. I think that if you heard L7s that were properly powered you would have a slightly different Opinion.
Yes many people do get these subs and only push 1,000 Watts to them
Then yes I agree they sound like :censored::censored::censored::censored:.
But if they are properly powered then it's a whole new story.

Great your loud, almost sounds like the subs are clipping though...... I can't wait till your stuff gets stole though because you announced to a 3 block radius that your vehicle has a system in it... You need some dynamat.... An this is why your going to have hearing problems in no time..

This Appendix is Mandatory

I. Computation of Employee Noise Exposure

(1) Noise dose is computed using Table G-16a as follows:

(i) When the sound level, L, is constant over the entire work shift, the noise dose, D, in percent, is given by: D=100 C/T where C is the total length of the work day, in hours, and T is the reference duration corresponding to the measured sound level, L, as given in Table G-16a or by the formula shown as a footnote to that table.

(ii) When the workshift noise exposure is composed of two or more periods of noise at different levels, the total noise dose over the work day is given by:

D = 100 (C(1)/T(1) + C(2)/T(2) + ... + C(n)/T(n)),

where C(n) indicates the total time of exposure at a specific noise level, and T(n) indicates the reference duration for that level as given by Table G-16a.

(2) The eight-hour time-weighted average sound level (TWA), in decibels, may be computed from the dose, in percent, by means of the formula: TWA = 16.61 log(10) (D/100) + 90. For an eight-hour workshift with the noise level constant over the entire shift, the TWA is equal to the measured sound level.

(3) A table relating dose and TWA is given in Section II.

TABLE G-16A

83................................... 21.1
84................................... 18.4
85................................... 16
86................................... 13.9
87................................... 12.1
88................................... 10.6
89................................... 9.2
90................................... 8
91................................... 7.0
92................................... 6.1
93................................... 5.3
94................................... 4.6
95................................... 4
96................................... 3.5
97................................... 3.0
98................................... 2.6
99................................... 2.3
100.................................. 2
101.................................. 1.7
102.................................. 1.5
103.................................. 1.3
104.................................. 1.1
105.................................. 1
106.................................. 0.87
107.................................. 0.76
108.................................. 0.66
109.................................. 0.57
110.................................. 0.5
111.................................. 0.44
112.................................. 0.38
113.................................. 0.33
114.................................. 0.29
115.................................. 0.25
116.................................. 0.22
117.................................. 0.19
118.................................. 0.16
119.................................. 0.14
120.................................. 0.125
121.................................. 0.11
122.................................. 0.095
123.................................. 0.082
124.................................. 0.072
125.................................. 0.063
126.................................. 0.054
127.................................. 0.047
128.................................. 0.041
129.................................. 0.036
130.................................. 0.031

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9736

Last edited:
I think the whole Solobaric L7 line sounds good in a sealed enclosure. Then again, it's a matter of preference. SQ>SPL imho. Unfortunatley, people that are into SQ usually aren't posting videos of rear view mirrors vibrating on the internet. Likewise, I think a lot of people have a negative view of the L7 series because they haven't heard them in a sealed setup.

I think the whole Solobaric L7 line sounds good in a sealed enclosure. Then again, it's a matter of preference. SQ>SPL imho. Unfortunatley, people that are into SQ usually aren't posting videos of rear view mirrors vibrating on the internet. Likewise, I think a lot of people have a negative view of the L7 series because they haven't heard them in a sealed setup.

I've heard the L7 in a seal enclosure, and I agree it sounds okay, very loud sub, but I like to listen to fast upbeat music, so I have 10s to accommodate the style of music I listen to.....

All this talk about what sub and how much power...
what about the enclosure?

I've heard the L7 in a seal enclosure, and I agree it sounds okay, very loud sub, but I like to listen to fast upbeat music, so I have 10s to accommodate the style of music I listen to.....

cone size has zero impact on the dynamic response of a speaker

When the hell did this section get so full of personal opinion becoming fact horse****?

Sounds like **** because it's recorded on a camcorder microphone. You think the mike on a handycam was meant to handle that much volume? I'm thinking no.

As for the blanket "L7s sound like garbage" statement? Given the proper enclosure, proper setup and proper amplification they can sound just fine, though most poeple set them up for SPL. Obviously there are better SQ drivers available on the market, but not everybody is aware of them and really, saying the L7 sounds like **** is just a bit of an exageration.

So what we have here is a guy that loves the hobby (you'll notice this hobby is losing people's interest alot lately as factory options are becoming more complex) that built a pretty impressive system probably meant to be loud, that has succeded in being that, and all the "enthusiasts" here jump on him because it's not thier cup of tea? You guys know better than this. It's not like he came here and said it's better than Jesus then raped your dog. He was just sharing his work with the rest of the "enthusiast" crowd in here.

but I like to listen to fast upbeat music, so I have 10s to accommodate the style of music I listen to

A 15" sub plays a 60Hz frequency at 60Hz, just like a 10" sub. No matter how big your driver is 60Hz will always be 60Hz. A 10" sub playing from the same source a a 15" sub will play at the same pace. The only major difference being that the 15" can play lower frequencies than the 10, and the 15" will have more than twice the output due the size of the radiating surface. The only benefit of a smaller driver over a large driver is space requirements and packaging. Having more than twice the radiating surface of a 10" sub, a 15" sub will require less than half the power to play at the same volume as well.

For instance, I own a 16" ED 16Kv.2, which uses the same motor as an 11Kv.2. Looking at the specs for the two, the small sub has less output at low frequencies, but has better response at high frequencies. Since it's a subwoofer and you are crossing it over around 60-100Hz the high frequencies aren't even played. Likewise, the response at low frequencies from the big driver will liely be caught by the amplifier's subsonic filter, and if your amp doesn't have one? Well you can't hear that low of a frequency anyways so it's wasted energy. So basically, we have two drivers that really only differ in radiating surface area. a 15" driver has a surface area of 176.635 square inches while a 10 has only 78.5. So it would require more than two 10" drivers to replace the output of one 15" of the same make.

Now people often claim the added weight of the larger cone causes the larger sub to become less responsive or "slower" but again a quick look at the driver's response graphs shows that the difference is marginal, and seeing as the larger driver doesn't even have to move the cone half as much to acheive equal volume, that difference is nullified. Plenty of SQ championship winning cars use larger drivers over a smaller diameter cone. If you have the room, they make the most sense. If you need the space or certain packaging, you'll need to use a number of smaller drivers in thier place.

Last edited:
A 15" sub plays a 60Hz frequency at 60Hz, just like a 10" sub. No matter how big your driver is 60Hz will always be 60Hz. A 10" sub playing from the same source a a 15" sub will play at the same pace. The only major difference being that the 15" can play lower frequencies than the 10, and the 15" will have more than twice the output due the size of the radiating surface. The only benefit of a smaller driver over a large driver is space requirements and packaging. Having more than twice the radiating surface of a 10" sub, a 15" sub will require less than half the power to play at the same volume as well.

For instance, I own a 16" ED 16Kv.2, which uses the same motor as an 11Kv.2. Looking at the specs for the two, the small sub has less output at low frequencies, but has better response at high frequencies. Since it's a subwoofer and you are crossing it over around 60-100Hz the high frequencies aren't even played. Likewise, the response at low frequencies from the big driver will liely be caught by the amplifier's subsonic filter, and if your amp doesn't have one? Well you can't hear that low of a frequency anyways so it's wasted energy. So basically, we have two drivers that really only differ in radiating surface area. a 15" driver has a surface area of 176.635 square inches while a 10 has only 78.5. So it would require more than two 10" drivers to replace the output of one 15" of the same make.

Someone did their research.

Honkeytonk just does whatever I tell him to do.

surface area is king, whether that is acheived by multiple small subs or a couple of large subs is inconsequential. Fast subs have low inductance, slow subs don't. If you have the space for larger subs, they will get you surface area more inexpensively, typically, which is why I lean towards them. More surface area and less excursion is very key to low distortion, dynamic output. Tiny boxes with subs with huge excursion are excellent at compression and being small.

Last edited:
Because small subs cost more to get the same volume of displacement so I waste less?

I just noticed this thread for the first time tonight... I'll let Honkytonk and Dnewma04 handle it, since it seems they have it under control.

All I am going to do is offer my opinion that being loud is not that big a deal. SQ>SPL in my book. Sure it lets you pound your chest and all, but there is no challenge (unless you are or are trying to be an elite competitor in the competition world with a purpose built vehicle) and the hearing loss that comes with it is a real issue that anyone that listens to loud noises or loud music really should be concerned with. If there is no challenge, and you can't enjoy it without sustaining permanent hearing loss, why bother?

I can recall one conversation I had with a young lad back when I was selling car audio products. He came in wanting a loud system. He wanted nothing to do with a balanced or even a "good" sounding system that I offered to design for him. It just had to be loud so that people could hear him from a block or more away. So I said: "so basically what you want is a system that is loud enough to attract the bad guys to your car so they can take it from you within three weeks of you having it put in?" Of course his answer was "yup, that's what I want!!" As the old saying goes: a fool and his money are soon parted.

Also, one thing to note with that OSHA scale introduced earlier is that it uses an a-weighed measurement, which filters out the lower frequesncies (such as those produced by subwoofers). This was most likely because it approximates the typical human hearing response curve (most sensitive around 1kHz, and falls off slowly above and below this point). This means you can get somewhat louder at these lower frequencies and not measure as high on an a-weighted measurement as on the typical unweighted measurment used at spl comps.

Again, SQ>SPL....
166133_4_full.jpg

Back