• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just starting my stereo install!

wurgerd9

New CEG'er
Recently found a clean 99 SVT. I don't do a whole lot for changes, I love it stock. But I am working on a stereo installation. I completed step one a couple weeks ago. An old school Sony component set in the rear doors. They are just the regular Xplod speakers from around 2003 or so I think. Brand new in the box from ebay for less than $50. They should match up nicely with the same era Sony mobileES component set I have for the front doors. Both sets are 5 1/4". A few days later I put in my head unit for the moment a Sony CDX-5750. This was step 2 and may change - I want to stay sort of Old School. Just running through the lame factory amp for now because an amp install is coming soon. Picked up a clean old Alpine MRV-F450 5 channel. Step 3 was last weekend when I ran 4 ga. power and remote turn on to the trunk. I haven't decided what is next and don't know when I'll get some free time... it'll either be installing the front speakers or the amp. Later I'll be installing a modest subwoofer setup.

Attachments

• photo17433.jpg
    photo17433.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo17434.jpg
    photo17434.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo17435.jpg
    photo17435.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
I did something similar for the install of components in the front doors. I used Plexiglas to mount the 5 1/4" driver in the factory location. Put the tweeters on the little sail/defroster panel at the front corner of the door. I used Infinity Reference speakers with Sony xPlod amps. Used a 4-channel amp with 75 watts rms per channel. Used Infinity Reference 5x7 speakers in the rear doors.

Also I don't think its good to under-drive the speakers that much from the factory amp.

I also built my own sealed box for one 12" Infinity Reference Sub woofer. I am driving this bridged onto a 2 channel Sony xPlod amp. I forget the RMS power of the amp but its closely matched to the speaker as I did with the other speakers.

How did you mount your tweeters? Did you surface or flush mount them? I haven't completely figured out how I'm going to do that part yet. And how hard was it to get the tweeter wires down into the door where I assume you probably had the crossover? You are absolutely right about underdriving the speakers. I just went that way so I have something to listen to temporarily. I expect to have the amp wired up within a month or so (my free time is limited!) which will supply about 50 watts RMS to each of the 4 speakers front and rear. My 5th channel will of course be for the sub. I never thought of using plexi... do you have any pictures? That probably looks pretty cool! What head unit are you using? I love the old school stuff - I might even use my old Soundstream TC-308 at times!

I surface mounted the tweeters. The wires just drop down into the door. I used the stock wiring to connect to the crossover.

I currently have a Sony MEXBT5700U in the car. Wanted to add Bluetooth capability. I had some other Sony head unit before, don't recall at the moment.

Back