Just starting my stereo install!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting my stereo install!

Recently found a clean 99 SVT. I don't do a whole lot for changes, I love it stock. But I am working on a stereo installation. I completed step one a couple weeks ago. An old school Sony component set in the rear doors. They are just the regular Xplod speakers from around 2003 or so I think. Brand new in the box from ebay for less than $50. They should match up nicely with the same era Sony mobileES component set I have for the front doors. Both sets are 5 1/4". A few days later I put in my head unit for the moment a Sony CDX-5750. This was step 2 and may change - I want to stay sort of Old School. Just running through the lame factory amp for now because an amp install is coming soon. Picked up a clean old Alpine MRV-F450 5 channel. Step 3 was last weekend when I ran 4 ga. power and remote turn on to the trunk. I haven't decided what is next and don't know when I'll get some free time... it'll either be installing the front speakers or the amp. Later I'll be installing a modest subwoofer setup.

I did something similar for the install of components in the front doors. I used Plexiglas to mount the 5 1/4" driver in the factory location. Put the tweeters on the little sail/defroster panel at the front corner of the door. I used Infinity Reference speakers with Sony xPlod amps. Used a 4-channel amp with 75 watts rms per channel. Used Infinity Reference 5x7 speakers in the rear doors.

Also I don't think its good to under-drive the speakers that much from the factory amp.

I also built my own sealed box for one 12" Infinity Reference Sub woofer. I am driving this bridged onto a 2 channel Sony xPlod amp. I forget the RMS power of the amp but its closely matched to the speaker as I did with the other speakers.
    - 12 Focus SE
    - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

How did you mount your tweeters? Did you surface or flush mount them? I haven't completely figured out how I'm going to do that part yet. And how hard was it to get the tweeter wires down into the door where I assume you probably had the crossover? You are absolutely right about underdriving the speakers. I just went that way so I have something to listen to temporarily. I expect to have the amp wired up within a month or so (my free time is limited!) which will supply about 50 watts RMS to each of the 4 speakers front and rear. My 5th channel will of course be for the sub. I never thought of using plexi... do you have any pictures? That probably looks pretty cool! What head unit are you using? I love the old school stuff - I might even use my old Soundstream TC-308 at times!

Comment

I surface mounted the tweeters. The wires just drop down into the door. I used the stock wiring to connect to the crossover.

I currently have a Sony MEXBT5700U in the car. Wanted to add Bluetooth capability. I had some other Sony head unit before, don't recall at the moment.
        - 12 Focus SE
        - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
        - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Working...
        X